What method is best to achieve a totally trained unit?

How about this?... Have the BSA establish a policy that training is optional, but they won't cover you with their libability insurance unless you take all the required training for your position.

Our council has $15M liability policy for Scouting activities.

I was told by my DE that in 2 to 3 years the insurance company is requiring all leaders to be trained in their position for this to be in affect.

I was also told that it will be required for any adult to go on an overnight with a Troop or Crew will need to have SM training/Outdoor training to be covered by this insurance.

Of course you will always have the Units that ignore this.

Crew21_Adv,

If only one in a unit does and warns the others, then the word would be spread.

For my pack, I would be happy if one leader from each den, the CC, and the CM had basic training and attended the monthly leaders meetings. We're only a couple den leaders shy of this. I think we could get by if the other MCs were not trained. While not the most serious issue of having untrained leaders in a unit, the most annoying is having to constantly spend time teaching them instead of the boys. It's a waste of my time to have to give the other leaders OJT for things they should know and don't.