I am headed off to Web Leader/ASM/SM

Introduction to outdoor skills this weekend and of courst the weather is supposed to turn bad. I already have a serious cold, I can only imagine how bad I will feal next week.I borrowed a tent and sleeping pad from my brother. All my tents are too big to put up by myself and I don't need that much room. I am having second thought about this because I have been thinking about stepping down from Webelos leader. That way, I could concentrate on older son and Boy Scouts at least until younger son is in Cub Scouts. I really enjoy this Scouting stuff, but at the moment have a group of Webelos that just don't want to do anything.

Never make an important decision while in the throws of a bad cold.

Also, by the weekend, you should be feeling much better. I take it from your post that you're not an experienced backpacker. If that's the case, you should speak up and ask for some advise from your local SMs or ASMs. They should know what you'll need at the training location, which is usually the local council's camp.

Hang in there and have a blast. As our founder said, "Any silly ass can be a Scout in fine weather."

I hope you have a great time, cold and all!

The Webelos program was my favorite time to be a leader - so many possibilities and the boys are old enough to handle a little more of a challenge too. So I'm biased here but I hope you'll decide to stay on because you'll probably end up enjoying it.

Is your son a Webelos 1 or W2 now? If W1, it might take the boys in the den a little while to understand that they can have a much bigger voice than before in choosing activities that the den will do (within certain boundaries of course). But, if you haven't already, you could have a den planning night where you brainstorm with the boys and come up with cool places to go/things to do. (Ask some other past/present Webelos leaders at training this weekend what their favorite activities were so you have an arsenal of ideas ready in case the boys give you blank stares at first).

The first time we did this was a bit of a dud (blank stares) so we gave the boys three choices and had them vote on which one to do during the next month. Subsequent attempts at brainstorming were much more successful. I don't know if it was just a new experience for them to be asked for input, or if they didn't believe we'd follow up on their ideas or what that first time.

If W2, some of the boys might be a little burned out on the traditional den meeting format, esp. if they've been in since Tigers. In that case maybe set the book aside for a little bit and have some just-for-fun activities.

Tell us all about OLS when you get back!

best,

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Hey Kittle, I hope you are feeling better! As long as it does not rain you should be fine. Cold & dry is a LOT easier to handle than cold & wet when you are feeling poorly!

You mentioned that you have had second thoughts about taking Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills because you have been thinking about concentrating on Boy Scouts and stepping down from Webelos.

I was wondering if you realized that Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is aimed at Scoutmasters, Asst Scoutmasters, and Webelos Den Leaders who are preparing to cross over to a BS Troop. As a matter of fact, it is a part of the Boy Scout SM/ASM training, which is needed to be considered trained in a BS Troop.

The outdoor training that is Webelos specific is Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (some councils call this OWL). This training covers Webelos outdoor activitiy pins and Webelos Den camping.

So, if you are considering dropping Webelos and working at the BS Troop level, this training is perfect for you! Now you just have to take SM/ASM Leader Specific Training and you are all set to work with the Troop.

ScoutNut, I've already had the SM/ASM Leader Specific. A friend of mine, who happens to be a district trainer, told me that it was neccesary to take that training in order to go to the Outdoor portion of the training. I am fealing a little better. It quit raining here and my cold has eased up. I'm not looking to being a SM or ASM in the troop, just looking to help with whatever they need help with. Maybe see what Merit Badges they need a counselor for that I have an interest in. With younger children, it would be difficult for me to commit the time for the other positions.