I promise..I'll stop after this but something reminded me about it yesterday..I don't know if you all have seen these or not, but they gave them to us at our course..

sue

You might be a Wood Badger...

If you've ever suddenly slammed n the brakes because you thought you saw a patrol critter at a yard sale

If you've ever received a speeding ticket because you were running late and were afraid you'd miss the SONG

If you've ever found yourself spending ten dollars or more playing a game of chance at a carnival because the top prize was a stuffed Kudu

If you were ever late for work because you couldn't find your patrol flag

If you named one of your kids Baden

If you you raise your hand to the Scout sign at a heated business meeting

If you hang your totem on the doorknob of the Holiday Inn while on vacation

If the fountain at your wedding had bug juice in it

If your baby's first words were "Back to Gilwell"

If you don't understand why tuxedos don't come with beads and a woggle

If you walk the streets in broad daylight with a coffee cup and flashlight hanging from your belt

If your coat of arms features a Kudu

If your have a broken storm door, yet a perfectly good service patrol shovel

If your idea of a trip to the Holy Land means Gilwell Park in London

...You Might Just Be a Wood Badger!!!

Well, Sue, I'm not trying to make this less silly, but...

You just might be a WoodBadger if...

You've made the decision that post-kids, your own service to your community will be in two organizations: Your church and Scouting.

• 2 months later...

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Over on ebay, topic: "wood badge", somebody is selling little critter charms on black cord tied like the WoodBadge beads. Every critter is there. The hook to this is that WB'ers cannot wear their beads on activity uniforms. Well, now your favorite critter is available to be worn with your activity uniform. My son, the Philmont Staffer, got me a single critter on a cord (Never guess which one!) at the Cimmaron Art Gallery for my birthday last year, and it has been known to poke its nose out from between the rolls on my WB neckerchief from time to time. Oh, what the heck. In scouting if you're not having fun and you don't have food, you're doing it wrong. Go have a peek at the site. you can't miss it.

> Oh, what the >heck. In scouting if you're not having fun and you >don't have food, you're doing it wrong. Go have a peek >at the site. you can't miss it.

Greying Beaver,

Great philosophy!! I have a non-scouting friend in another state who for Christmas sent me a BSA Silver Beaver tie tac for Christmas...I loved it and I didn't recoginize it at first as an official BSA pin until she told me. So now is my dilemma...If I put it on, or wear it on something (like my smokey hat or my red wool!) is someone going to yell at me for wearing it??? I want to wear it..it means a lot to me that she went to this much effort to find me something so special!!

Sue M. (another greying Beaver...but they have stuff in bottles to help hide that!!)

My feelings about the Silver Beaver Pin:

Just as you wouldn't wear an Eagle Scout medal that you didn't earn and wouldn't wear the same goes for the Silver Beaver pin.

Campaign Hats and the Red Wool Jacket are parts of the Official Scout uniform and what can be worn on them is covered in the Insignia Guide.

Eamonn.

SueM

I am not a member of the uniform police, but I would advise against wearing the Silver Beaver tie tac as a pin. You don't see these too often anymore, but some old timer may ask when you were awarded the "Metallic Rodent" and this could be embarassing to you. In the worst case, someone could suggest you are trying to pass yourself off as a recipient of the award.

baden,

My feelings about the Silver Beaver, have nothing to do with me being an old timer!! In fact I don't see myself as an old timer! - While I no longer see myself as a spring chicken. At 50 years old I also don't see myself as having one foot in the grave.

Our Council awards four Silver Beavers a year. It's only in the past few years that we went from 3 to 4.

When I received the Silver Beaver five years back I was deeply honored and very proud.

I have never heard it refereed to as the "Metallic Rodent". I do wear the tie pin to functions that are Scouting related and where uniforms would not the correct dress code.

Maybe I am showing my age, but I really think that any part of the highest award that a Council can bestow on a volunteer does not belong on a campfire blanket!!

Many Silver Beaver recipients that have passed away have been laid out wearing the award. It is a very special award.

Eamonn.

I'm thinking that maybe I can get some metal paint and paint my pin so that it's not obviously a silver beaver pin and I can wear it on something! It's a gift that means a lot to me and my friend had no way of knowing the significance in what it was...she was just adding to my beaver collection in what she thought was a very thoughtful way! :(

sue m.

Eamonn-

I meant no disrespect to you or any recipient of the Silver Beaver. I was awarded the Silver Beaver 6 years ago and was deeply touched to be so honored. I think the tie tack being referred to is a silver beaver on a square of blue and white stripes like the ribbon from the award. In our council this is not presented to the recipient. I was under the assumption that the tack came from a presentation kit from some years back, hence my reference to old-timers. My "metallic rodent" crack is what we silver beavers in my district call ourselves.

Again, no disrespect intended. My feeble attempts at humor are not always clear.

Eamonn

I would have recognized an Eagle Scout badge...and understood that..there is nothing exceptional about this that jumped out as something other than it is a beaver pin that just happens to be made in silver tone and like I said, she had no idea..I have no intention of passing myself off as a SB, but I can't see why I can't paint it red/white & blue if I want and wear it on -something- without offending anyone!

I can see using the tie tack as the beginning of a Boy Scout collection, but not as something to wear. it would be like getting a new soldier getting a Silver Star from a relative and then wearing it. Not in the uniform, but on "other clothes" it wouldnt work

SueM

In reading over the posts regarding the Silver Beaver Pin your friend sent you, I do agree with Eamonn about the honor of the Silver Beaver Award being bestowed upon one. I wear the Silver Beaver Knot on my uniform and at special occasions, do wear the medal and ribbon, but I have never even taken the pin out of the box. I at one time thought about wearing in on my suits, as I wear a suit everyday in my job, but don't as I never remember to take off the pin and put it on the next day's suit. If I were you, I would put it away for safe keeping, and if you council ever bestows the honor on you, take it out and wear it with pride. Remember the pin is for civillian use, and not to worn on Scouting uniforms.

Just my take,

Dancin Fox