FScouter,

In answer to your question, what this means is:

1. A prior CD before 21st Century WB would have to staff as a

Troop Guide, and also hold an additional optional position (ie.) QM,

Scribe, ASM, etc. and meet all the other requirements to serve as a 21st Century Course Director. This would mean that they would have

to be a three beader until they were picked as a Course Director and

received their 4th bead the day before the course started. The only

4 beaders on a 21st Century Course would be the current Course Director and/or a mentor, if the council exec and council training chair deemed that position was needed. I don't see it as a step down, as they would be working on staff as a three beader.

Dancin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the only person that would be required to give up a bead would be a former CD? Everyone else with 1, 2 or 3 beads would not give up anything.

I see the reasoning for requiring a new CD to go through the new course first. But it seems silly to strip an earned bead from his neck.

I think you are looking at it wrong. The former CD has the right to say he or she won't set aside the fourth bead. That is their right. If they would like to work on the 21st Century Course, then they would have to set aside a fourth bead. It is their choice. When I went to Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge and Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge, I didn't see any 4 beaders other then the CD on the course. I know for sure, that in my BSWB there was at least one other 4 beader and he was wearing three beads.

Dancin

I was aware that the changes were coming. I'd heard that the agreement with Kenneth Blanchard,and the license to use his works was about up.

The requirement that CD's attend the Directors conference is a good idea. However I know of a course that a Council in our cluster is presenting and the back up CD is an ex-Course Director. They are doing this in order to save the cost of sending another person to the conference. While I wasn't that upset about having to pay for the conference, I did think it was way over priced and if anything was a good example of how not to do things!! Of course that might just have been the one I attended. The admin guide makes it very clear that conference fees are not to be passed on to the course participants. I have to admit that when things get to costing so much that people look for loop-holes and ways of bypassing the system, I get a little worried.

Thinking a little about what Barry posted.

As a young leader in the UK, all them years ago!! While no one twisted my arm to attend Wood Badge and training was not mandatory (I hear that the Brits have now made it so!!) I seem to remember that there was a kind of expectation that once you completed Basic Training that you would go on and do Wood Badge. Maybe because Gilwell Park was almost in our back yard we never gave much thought as to who was presenting the course. The forms were just given to me, I completed them out paid me money and toddled off.

I can't help thinking that the "Invite" is almost a joke!! Most CD's are so worried about getting the course off the ground that they will take almost anyone.

Eamonn.

Two questions.

I'm not familiar with the term cluster. What is it?

Invite? Did you have to be invited in the old days? Around here, you get tired of being chased by upcoming WB staff with registration forms in hand. You see them at beadings, you see them at training courses like SM Specific and IOLS. You see them at roundtables. You see them at camporee campfires. You see them in your sleep. The council newsletter has ads for it every month. The recruiters will even fill out the form,take your check and drive it to the council office for you. Invite? Around here, everyone is invited.

"Invite? Did you have to be invited in the old days?"

YES.

When I did Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge back in the late 80s, it was by invitation. Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge of the same time was also by invitation only (which made sense, as that was a region-run course for council-level cub scout trainers).

However, I know in my council that if you wanted an invitation, you could ask (and would probably get one).

Today, they say the course is by invitation only, but also make it clear if you want an invite, you can ask and get one. Frankly, since most councils are doing 1-2 courses a year and are trying to fill the courses, I don't know why they even both saying its 'by invitation only'.

First: A CLUSTER is where several Councils pool resources to run a course. Where I went (Pony Express, St Joe, MO) used to be in a cluster, but they've run their own courses bi-enially for about a decade.

Second: Invitation to attend? Reality check. The SPL made the tour of area roundtables (in his own and in neighboring Councils) and did the "NPR Beg-a-thon" gig (Please come to my course ...). My home council also had advertising and recruiters at its roundtables.

I can see being invited to staff, though.

John

C-40-05

I used to be an Owl

Working my ticket...

I had lunch one day with our Course Director during our course. He was saying that there were changes coming.

Of course I asked if they were for the better or worse...

He said he was not worried about it, because like everything, they will work the bugs out, the first year will be rocky, but then the links will start to work out and it will be fine.

I am sure that if you ask anyone that attended Wood Badge, dating back to the early 1900's, you would find they all had the same experience, no matter what the course.

NOW speaking for myself... Wood Badge is the best training I have done in Scouting. And Second only to the fact that we do this for the Scouts, Wood Badge for me provided focus and direction unlike any thing else Scouting has to offer.

Having said all that... Let the changes come, this is not the first time Wood Badge has changed, and it certainly will not be the last.

Gilwell is still the Happy land..

Jerry

and a Good 'Ol Beaver too..

[spelling errors corrected in edit](This message has been edited by schleining)

I heard about this change earlier this year. I went through Wood Badge back in 1986 - SC308. I was asked to go back on staff, but could not due to my work schedule at that time. Since then, I have been on staff of almost every other Cub Scout and Boy Scout course. My wife and I have been Cub Scout Roundtable commissioners for about 8 years and have received the District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver.

I have heard both sides of the argument on which Wood Badge is better. I personally believe that the old course needed to be brought up to speed and think the new course is a good thing and is going in the right direction. However, I am now in a posistion where I can staff a course, but cannot unless I go through it again! To me, I find it insulting. I am good enough for all the other things in the council, but not Wood Badge staff. I have heard that there are those that wanted to move the "old timers" out, and believe this may be one tool they are using.

I don't know why the powers that be doesn't think someone who has not been through the new course cannot teach the new methods. After all, the staffers on the first courses went through the old course.

I think too many of you are looking for some sort of conspiracy here...

The "Old timers" vs. the "new comers"

I really do not think the BSA is looking at that at all... I think they are looking for fresh ideas and relevant ways to present them.

The Wood Badge for the 21st Century is a great course. It presents material that makes sense in the Scouting World TODAY!

I have no beef with the "Old Timers" I think that Everyone has something to offer and with all that experience it would be foolish to get rid of there valuable knowledge.

I really do not think there is a conspiracy here.

Jerry

WELCOME TO BEAVER COUNTRY!

• 2 years later...

The whole they/we old vs new course rift has been enhanced by the requirement to give up one's beads and go through WB21 to be "Woodbadge qualified".

Instead, a Nationally sanctioned recurrency/update short course would be a better idea!

As an 20-year USAF navigator, I did not have to re-earn my wings because they restructured Nav-school (changes were much larger in scope than Woodbadge)... but I did have to stay current with the latest changes.

So why force a person to give up their hard-earned beads and retake the full program? Well, some other opportunities require (not just recommend) the new course... ie Jamboree Scoutmaster.

353Beaver,

Greetings!

You've revived an old topic. But I concur with your thoughts.

I think that the request for Wood Badgers to take off their beads and re-attend the new course is only to enhance numbers and attendance. The primary target audience is the new leader (Cubs, Scouts, or Venturing) that has just began Scouting with their son. But if recruiting falls low, the next audience are those Scouters which may already be committed to Scouting, the pre-WB21C Wood Badger.

I honestly believe there are extremely few renegade Scoutmasters that prefer to do things their own way. Shortcutting advancements, adding to requirements, or violating safety guidelines. For those stubborn few, no matter how much training they receive, the few renegades will not change. I have a hard time accepting the old vs new arguement. Both courses taught and teach contemporary planning, leading and communicating.

For pre WB21C Wood Badge Scouters that have participated activity within their units, regularly attended Roundtable, read and reviewed the merit badge phamplet updates, read and learned handbook changes, utilize their committee and PLC, and train their SPL to lead the troop; I really don't see the reason why they are invited to attend again.

I personally attended the Wood Badge for Boy Scout Leaders, and staff that course also. I also have staffed the recent Wood Badge for the 21st Century three times. But because I have not attended WB21C as a participant, Am I less qualified than a new Scouter who has attended the recent course?

There are some new National courses being released this year. Beginning with the OLC Den Chief Training and the newest Cub Scout Specifics. I've seen them promoted on a National training updates flyer released in January, and fellow forum member click23 posted them in July after returning from PTC. Specifically, Good to Outstanding (Advanced Scoutmaster Training) available by end of 08. I really don't know of any Scoutmaster that will register for a class titled "Good to Outstanding" and state that they are just good. Although the course material may be worthy, I see the title being changed within the next year.

But bottom line, I highly concur with 353Beaver's recommendations. A Nationally sactioned (weekend or one day) refresher for the Wood Badge for Boy Scout Leaders and title them Wood Badge for the 21st Century trained is more desirable than adding another week of camping to the already limited calendar.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"I honestly believe there are extremely few renegade Scoutmasters that prefer to do things their own way. Shortcutting advancements, adding to requirements, or violating safety guidelines."

I respectfully disagree. I think that there are more out there who are doing their own thing than following the BSA program, even if that program is the program of 50 years ago.

How many of us know or have spoken with at least one SM who appoints the SPL and PLs?

How many of us know or have spoken with someone who has added requirements like "You have to do at least three chin ups for Tenderfoot"?

How many of us know or have spoken with someone who drives Scouts around in the back of a pick up truck.

I met an SM a few years back at camp who selected the merit badges for each of his Scouts because he didn't want them "wasting their time on fun."

If each of us has dealt with just one Scouter who falls into one of the above categories, that's too many.

"A Nationally sactioned (weekend or one day) refresher for the Wood Badge for Boy Scout Leaders and title them Wood Badge for the 21st Century trained is more desirable than adding another week of camping to the already limited calendar."

While I agree, it has yet to happen, and I see the chances of such growing dimmer.

When 21CWB was rolled out, I was told that such a course was coming. I had gone thru the priod WB course (BSLWB), and wanted to get 'up to speed' on the new one. I kept expecting this mythical course to show up. I would hear things like 'some group is working on it unofficially', 'its being testing out', etc. Nothing every came of it.

I tried getting on staff for a 21CWB course, but it took me several years before I succeeded.

Now, if you haven't been a participant or staff on a 21CWB course, you have to go thru it again as a participant to be allowed on staff. So why provide this refresher now?