How many trained adults on unit's committee do you have?

I do not know this answer myself to 100% accuracy.

On the pack comittee

4 of 6 den leaders are trained. in addition one Den Ldr is WB trained?

Cubmaster is trained and going to WB in a month.

Scout troop (really unkown but a guess)

Scoutmaster- WB, trained for Scoutmaster.

ASM's only one of about 4 is trained in both indoor and outdoor portion.

Rest of comittee hasn't attended TCC and one is WB trained.

Does your unit reflect this? Are we about average?

Does it help to be more "boy led" if your committee is trained? Please be specific.

What are some advantages?

Have you recently upgraded training levels??

Does anybody's Chartered org require training? Is it within their scope to ask for 100% trained adults?

Have your committee meetings become more efficient?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

In our unit, 100% of our den leaders have basic training/position specific completed.

At least 2 parents in every den have completed youth protection training

Cubmaster (myself) is Woodbadge trained. Webelos leader to take the course this fall. We are sending at least one every year to WB.

Webelos leader (our camping coordinator) has completed BALOO. I'm taking it this fall. We are sending at least one a year to BALOO.

Four leaders have safe swim defense

One leader has a BSA Archery Rangemaster certification

We instituted this training level on ourselves. We cover for each other to make it happen. We sit each others kids, we take the courses on-line where possible, we remind each other to go ......

......And we recognize the heck out of leaders who get trained at Pack meetings!!!!! Everytime a leader gets trained in something, we have all leaders who have had training stand up and be recognized. Let the boys and the parents know how hard we want to make the program a success.

It's a boy's program, but you can't really deliver it without the proper training. Also we find that routine training and re-training (don't forget renewals!) help keep the leaders active and focused and energetic.... and that keeps the program alive as much as anything else..... That and it's really conspicuous if you're the only den leader in the bunch who hasn't been trained.

I forgot Baloo.

We have one WEEB II leader "me" trained

one WEEB I leader trained

and Cubmaster trained. 3 Baloo's in one pack is adequate but I wish the den leaders would all step up.

Our council needs to step up as it is not being offered at all this year and is now on the tour permit.

Currently, I am the Assistant Scout Leader for the 11 Year-old Scouts. Both myself and the Scout Leader are WB Trained in addition to many years of various other trainings.

When I was Cubmaster last year, we had 90% of the cub leaders consistently trained in Cub Leader Basics. Several of them went to Wood Badge as well.

I dont need to tell you what a benefit that has been to the leaders and boys. When I first came into the scouting program here at our church there was a great need for training. Most of the leaders had no training at all. The program was struggling along and the participation of the boys was dwindling. Now we are a Quality Unit and the program is a lot smoother. I cant say there arent challenges from time to time, but the challenges are much easier to deal with when leaders are trained to handle them.

Scouting is largely a volunteer organization. There are very little requirements in the BSA for training and those requirements that are in place mostly pertain to safe scouting. Your chartered organization can make whatever training requirements they feel are necessary and appropriate. Also, because scouting is very incentive oriented, the adult training program is mainly an award/recognition based program. This is how I believe Adult Leader Recognition should be presented. Volunteers respond better to incentives rather than forced requirements for some reason. Present the benefits and advantages of training. You will get better trained leaders because it will be an investment for the volunteer rather than just a requirement they have to fulfill.

Eagle-Pete

We have one ASM that isn't trained yet. He just joined in May and there hasn't been a training set up. The next one is August 19 and he is registered for it. On the Committee of the 8 6 are trained and they will take their training in Sept. I push training. I like to get as many people as I can cross trained.

Our troop doesn't have any written by-laws, so most of our "rules" are really just "strong suggestions". Having said that...

We have 4 members on our committee. All are trained up to leader specific training.

We have 6 ASMs. All trained up to leader specific training.

SM (me) trained through leader specific training, and Okpik (winter camping). I'd give Wood Badge a try, but so far I can't get past not wanting to stand up and sing that song in front of everybody :). Does everybody do that? I'm working towards becoming a climbing instructor as well.

So, we don't exactly "mandate" it, but we do expect all of our new leaders to go through training, at least up to leader specific. The training really does help a lot, in my view, IF you've got good instructors. I can read the books as well as anyone, but the good leaders bring their personal experience to the class, and that adds a lot of value.

Most of us on our committee are trained, and three of us are WB trained. We have two new leaders and one committee member yet to get training.

Training can be difficult to obtain in our Council. The sessions are sparse and erratically-scheduled, but for the position-specific at Pack level, we've got it done. It gets more difficult at Troop level. I've been encouraging others to attend those trainings and other sorts, like ALOST and LTC, through the neighboring Council. That seems to be working. The more training everybody in our group is getting, the more diverse and interesting the program becomes for the youth, is what I've been seeing. :)

Hmmm, I can't speak to the pack other than to say the CC is specific-position trained and has served on staff at seven Camporees. The Cubmaster is Wood Badged, has BALOO, is a Red Cross certified first aid and CPR instructor, is a BSA lifeguard and is doing her second tour at Philmont with her older son as I type this.

On the troop side we have three BSA lifeguards (myself included), eight Wood Badgers (again myself included) and eight or nine of us are trained up through SM. Our Red Cross instructor (see above) runs us through first aid and CPR annually. Youth protection training is more-or-less seriously recommended if you want to camp more than a couple of times. There are probably four or five "peripheral" folks who aren't trained, but don't camp either. You don't ask about OA but all the camping adults are also in OA and fairly active. I'm the newbie - I just got called out this summer:

>Does it help to be more "boy led" if your committee is trained? Please be specific.>

Geez, it would help if I re-read the original e-mail before I posted my answer, wouldn't it?

Yes, I believe it helps enormously to be more boy led if the committee is trained! The more people who are trained, the more educated opinions you'll have and the more you'll be able to help each other "toe the line". Not to mention be able to handle the "failures" and "re-dos" involved with the experimentation that goes with having 13, 14 and 15 year olds running things (16 and 17 year olds every once in a while, if you're lucky). It gives a perspective that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Vicki