Does anyone know the reason/significance and the design of the Wood Badge beads?

In the US all of the beads I have seen about about 1" long, with bevelled ends with a nick in the end of the bevel and the area around the hole that the leather thong passed through is countersunk.

I have an inquiry from a Scouter in the UK who asked about the reason for the nick in the ends and the countersunk areas.

I think that the reason for the countersunk areas is so that the beads can fit interlocked together at right angles (perhaps originally to help keep rattling noise down when worn as a long necklace with lots of beads). I have no idea why there are nicks in the ends.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=58269#id_64131

I wear a Wood Badge that is a mix of beads, some from England and some from the USA. The beads are the same.

I did buy a new set from Gilwell not so long back and the beads are a much lighter color and the leather is really thin.

I see that they are now selling one that is not on leather for the people who object to the use of animal products.

Eamonn.