Ok, I had a few questions from my pack concerning woodbadge that I could not answer.

1) Why is Gilwell order in that order? It does not seem to be alphabetic here in the US. (Beaver, Bobwhite, eagles, foxes, owl, bears, buffalo, and antelope) So, what does the order signify?

2) Is there a list somewhere that shows the animals for other countries, and how were the animals decided upon, have they changed since woodbadge started??

Thanks,

Stan

I'll defer to Bob White on this one, but this is how I understand it. The order is traditional, and has no specific meaning. Each course director chooses how to assign the patrol names. Some do it randomly, some pre-assign them. The only limitation is that the Troop Guide cannot be assigned to the patrol he or she was in.

www.woodbadge.org has some woodbadge history in it. There are some other sites as well.

1) Why Tiger, Wolf, Bear? They are not alphabetical either? It just is what it is. I don't kknow that there is any specific reason. I have been told that the first 5 were the originals and that the other 3 were added at later times.

2) Animals used in other countries are species indigenous to that area.

Yes names change, Bobwhite used to be quail.

BW

The Troop Guide can not be assigned to the patrol he or she was in." ?

Think this is a long standing old wives tale. That has been around so long that a lot of people take it to be true.

Troop Guides are assigned to the patrol where the Course Director feels they will do the most good. I never gave what Patrol they were in as a participant a second thought. There are a lot more important matters to worry about. While the critters are a lot of fun, they must never get in the way of what the course is all about. I feel sure that if the powers that be, became aware that the critters were taking away from passing on the skill of leadership. They would be gone.

In fact if you went and took Wood Badge at Gilwell Park or any where in the UK other than a Transatlantic Council course they have already gone to the happy land.

Eamonn.

American Bear.(NE-CS-58)

UK Cuckoo (Early 70's)