Hi,

I'm curious what the differences are supposed to be between the two courses, Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, and Webelos Leader Outdoor Training. I'd like to know because, mid October, my district is offering the outdoor training, i.e., the above mentioned courses and BALOO. As far as I can tell though, Webelos leaders are being told to attend Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

So, if anyone here is familiar with the syllabis for both courses, would you compare and contrast them.

Thanks,

SWScouter

I've not taken IOLS, but I have taken WLOS and BALOO. My understanding is that there is a fair amount of difference between the Boy Scout course and the Webelos course. WLOS cover health and safety, a long module on how to teach the outdoor-oriented Webelos activity pins, a some very basic camping skills. IOLS, from what I understand, covers camping skills more in depth, the patrol method, leave no trace and the health and safety stuff. Of course there is some overlap, but they are different enough that they are interesting and valuable even if you have previously taken one or the other. Webelos leaders need to take WLOT.

On the other hand, there nothing in BALOO that isn't covered in WLOT, and except for the activity pins, there's nothing in WLOT you didn't hear in BALOO. In my opinion -- not that anyone cares -- the activity pin stuff needs to be covered in Webelos Leader position specific training and then just have one certification course for Cub Scout camping.

I have taken both OWL and OLS, and served as a course director for OWL and staff for OLS. OWL is more specific for Webelos, teaching the outdoor activity pins and covering topics for camping with cubs. It is also required in order to earn the Webelo Den leader award (yellow on yellow square knot). Outdoor leader skills is for Scoutmasters and ASMs. It is oriented to teaching the outdoor skills required for tenderfoot through first class. camping skills are covered in much more depth than in OWL, since the boy scouts do much more outdoor stuff than the cubs. Outdoor leader skills is also required for a SM or ASM to be considered "trained".

Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation is a very basic introduction for a adult who does not necessarily need to be a uniformed Leader in how to organize and run a family type camp for Cub Scout families.

Webelos Scout Den Leader Outdoor Training is for Webelos Scout Den Leaders. The wants and needs of Webelos Scouts are different then those of Boy Scouts. Their program is different then that of Boy Scouts. How they camp is different. Boy Scouts are youth led, Webelos Scouts are not. Please do not think that Webelos Scouts are little Boy Scouts - They are not.

While the ILOS, is a great course for Webelos Scout Den leaders to take if they are preparing to move into Boy Scouts and take Boy Scouts to camp. It is not the course to take if you are planning to take Webelos Scouts to camp.

Eamonn

Thanks for the replies, they basically confirmed my understanding of the two courses. As I said, it appears that the two courses will be combined as one and the Webelos leaders will be considered trained for Webelos outdoor activities and likewise, SMs and SAs will be considered trained for their outdoor program.

I think I need to talk to the District Training Chairman and find out what's up and voice my concerns. A similar thing happened a couple of weekends ago with the Cub Scout Leader Specific training. All the Cub Scouters were put in a room and received exactly the same training, a four hour session. There was no specific leader breakouts at all. So now, I'm trying to figure out if I really am Webelos Leader trained. If so, I imagine I should also be Cubmaster trained, Tiger Leader Trained, etc. :) This seems like a disservice to the district's leaders.

Sorry if I'm ragging a bit. I feel training is very important and am planning on helping with the training committee but shouldn't I be able to get myself trained first? :(

SWScouter

We have used an overlap course where Intro to Outdoor Skills and Webelos leader Outdoor were run simultaneously, using an agenda that brought the two groups together for some course topics and separated them for others.

The groups got separate attention for areas where the program differed significantle, and in other areas wher they were sib=milar they shared the program and the difference where clarified by the presenter.

It seemed to work out quite well.

BW

BW, I hope that is what is planned though I get the impression that it is not. Mostly from what happened at the Leader Specific training and how the Outdoor training was advertised there. Again, I shall touch bases with the training chairman.

SWScouter