Cub Scout Roundtable V Boy Scout Roundtable

While serving as Assistant District Commissioner for Cub Scouts our Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner moved away from the area. I stepped in until we could find a replacement.Using the Program Helps and the books from National it turned out to be a lot of fun. The Cub Scout Leaders had a lot of fun, really got into participating. The meetings were full of action and singing. It was a very rewarding experience.

Time past and I became the District Commissioner and we lost our Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner. So yet again I stepped in. I bought all the books that national put out. They were no where near as good as the Cub Scout material. Then there were the Scout Leaders. It was like Deer in the headlights. This bunch just sat there. It is fair to say that most of our Scoutmasters have been around since Baden Powell was a boy . Trying to get them involved was like pulling teeth. Sad to say some of these old boys, who are really nice fellows think that the methods of Scouting are all well and good and have tried them once - A long time ago, and that book stuff is OK - It just don't work.

In time we found a new RT Commissioner.

Last time I looked in at a meeting. There they were sat sitting there. The new RT Commissioner must have given up. The only thing that I seen going on was that they were discussing up coming events.

I have to admit that I got caught up in the enthusiasm of and from the Cub Scout Leaders, which I didn't get from the Boy Scout Leaders. I also found the Cub Scout material easier to work with. But is what I saw the norm?

Eamonn.

Eamonn, Welcome back.

I think your experience is relatively accurate across the BSA. Obviously, I haven't visited every district (or more than a few for that matter), but I generally hear the same thing whereever the issue has come up. The only difference is that it sounds like your cub scout roundtables are at least interesting. I don't think that is true across the board.

I wish more scouters would go to RT. I was never able, as Cubmaster, to get the den leaders to go. They saw it as another hour to give to scouting. I tried to encourage them saying that the hour spent would save them time in coming up with ideas. But I got nowhere. Part of the problem was that our RTs were typically a 50/50 proposition. 50% of the time they were awful, 50% of the time they were okay. Seems like every time I got someone to go, it fell on the awful side. Go figure.

As for Boy Scouts RT, I believe you hit it on the head. SMs feel like they know it all. After all, BP himself taught their woodbadge course. I go about half of the time (job or other commitments seem to get in the way a lot). Most of the time is spent getting updates on activities. There's usually a subject for the month and we spend some time sharing ideas. I go for the same reason I come here - to get and share ideas. I wish more would do the same.

Eamonn,

We have a darn good district in my opinion. We have a good RT staff. I've never missed an RT since joining as a Scouter. I have to admit though, I enjoy the opening session where information and announcements are made much more than the breakout sessions. I have nothing against them, I just have never gotten much from them. I tend to ferret out my own information for ideas than depend on the RT breakouts to provide them. I'm sure there are many people who are just the opposite from me and find the large group session a waste of time and want to get to the program breakout.