Brent, as a method of recruitment, and promotion, personalized letters of invitation are sometimes sent to prospective attendees. However it is no longer an "invitation only" event as it once was.

The philosphy of who should attend Wood Badge changed dramatically with the creation of Wood Badge for the 21st Century. It is now recommended that all scout leaders, from every phase of the program, attend within the first two years.

The only prerequisites are that you be 21 years of age or older, a registered member of the BSA, and have completed the basic training requirements for the position you will be attending Wood Badge as.

So don't wait for an invitation, go ahead and send an application in.

Bob White

Brent,

If you have the opportunity, go. You will have a great time and will learn much that will be of value in Scouting, in your job and even with your family.

We have a young man in our council who took WB in Atlanta. They do things a bit differently but not in that differently. I believe that the "invitation" would be automatic once your qualifications are verified.

Wood Badge courses now are encouraged to have as many Cub Scout leaders and Venturing leaders as possible. On our last course, about 25% of participants were Cub Scout leaders. Our next course director has done all her Scouting time in Cub Scouts and went to Cub Scout Trainer's Wood Badge when that was still being run. Wood Badge will make you a better Cub Scout leader and will help you when and if you decide to become a Boy Scout leader or Venturing leader.

Bob White, one piece of additional information if I may. I believe that one must be an adult leader and complete the training prerequisites. However, one is considered an adult leader at 18. We had one 18 year old on our last course who recently was elected OA chief for the Northeast Region.

Brent, it is true that you should have an idea of what Scouting job you will be doing. However, that is not handcuffs. IF you change jobs, you can change your "ticket" (written documentation of tasks you plan to accomplish) accordingly.

You will have a wonderful time. Atlanta has great people and does a great job.

Thanks for all the great information! Since it sounds like I should be able to attend, I'm going to send in my "Interest Form" today and start making plans to shift gears from Camp Perry to Camp Woodruff! Now I'm going to try to talk some of our other leaders into attending as well.

NeilUp, We will have to take a split decision on this one. While you are correct that an 18-year old can attend Wood Badge, they can only do so as an Assistant Scoutmaster or as an Assistant Cubmaster. Being 18 does not make you eligible for adult membership except in those two positions.

All other adult leadership positions would require the individual to be 21 years of age or older.

I would expect the 18-year old OA Chief would have to have been an ASM.

But you are right the requirement says that you must be an adult member, not 21. Thanks for setting that straight.

Hello Bob White,

You are absolutely correct. The OA Chief was registered as and completed training as ASM.

It was a looong time ago that I looked at such things, but I believe that only ASM could be 18. I thought that ACM had to be 21. I thought the only other "adult" position that one could hold between 18 and 21 was Merit Badge Counselor. I know that one can be a "youth" Venturer; I don't know about the rules for Venturing leaders.

I know that an ACM can be 18 and is the only Cubbing position that anyone below 21 can hold. Never thought about a MB counselor attending Wood Badge as such. Never heard of it happening and I'm not sure if they are eligible since they are in a sort of gray area of BSA registration. Good question to ask at tomorrow's council training committee meeting.

I agree Eamonn, but wouldn't you agree that it is done as a way to promote the course and motivate attendance. There is nothing in the syllabus I have that makes participation by "invitation only". In fact every WB promotion I have seen for the last two years has stressed that anyone who meets the prerequisites can attend.

I agree with most of the posters here. Try to know what your immediate future as a Scouter will be (Cubmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster, Committee Member etc.), not your current position necessarily. However, you can stretch that too. When I took WB (first 21st Century Course) my immediate future Scouter position was BOTH a Webelos den leader (son #2) and as an SA (Asst. Scoutmater). Therefore, my "ticket" consisted of goals that complemented both positions (as well as one that complemented myself - personal fitness). As it turned out, my future position was Scoutmaster, something I did not foresee but we won't go there!

As was also stated, it is a good idea to take WB within two years of your basic leader training for your current position. For the WB for the 21st Century, I don't feel it is as important to know what position you will be in as it was with the earlier more position specific course. While it is true your "ticket" may be position specific, with careful planning on your part, you can avoid that pratfall if you are unsure of your future role.

Take it and enjoy it. I sure did!

If it doesn't work a hardship on you, WB now is best. As for who gets to go, I agree with Bob White, if you have the pre-reqs get there, as long as it doesn't interfere with family. (Sounds like a trip to Southern Africa, the kids are going to be hurthing too bad)

Only thing I have a problem with is which patrol is best... That would be BEAVER... There's a reason their first you know :p