I am the Scoutmaster for the week long JLTC (Thunderbird in this district). This is a huge event in the district. The course has 3 troops. Meaning that I am one of three SM. Each troop has 8 patrols with 8 per patrol. Which also means that on staff there are 3 SPL, 3 ASPL, 6 Quartermasters, 24 troop guides, and at least 3 JASM. Needless to say this is a big event. This course has been full for the last 6 years, meaning that there is a waiting list for the scouts.

Has anyone else heard of such a large JLTC? Or is this unusual?

• 1 month later...

The JLTC course is a Council course in our area.Two years ago we were unable to find a Scoutmaster and were very grateful to Greater Pittsburgh Council who made room for our guys on their course.

Last year we managed to find a Scoutmaster and the course ran with 32 participants. In years gone by we have had two troops but found at times the competition between the troops got a little out of hand.

Eamonn

First and most important Boy Ran

2nd

A large adult staff that is ready to sit around for a week and not do much, after the setup is done. This course has a Course advisor, 2 Course directors, 2 cooks, 2 QM, 3 SM, 3 ASM, a Nurse, and 2 and 3 others that are in and out, The cooks cook for the Advisors, QM, Directors, etc. and have extra food for the adult or scout staff if a patrol destroys a meal. The scout participants rarely see anyone but the leaders within the troop they are with that week, the advisors and directors and QM, and cooks, have a area setup for them where they tent and spend the week.

The syllabus is followed, with a few little tweaks.

During the pre meetings we have 4 adults cooks that prepares all meals for the staff. All the scouts have to do is run the meetings. The Scout staff is treated like adults, meaning that it probably looks more like an adult meeting than a youth, just a lot more fun.

During the course the 3 troops hardly every see each other, we have North, West, and East Troops. Spread over about 50 acres at a scout camp. During the weeklong course the scout leaders and ASM and SM eat with different patrols within the troop (some scouts have never cooked over an open fire before, so it can be quite a meal). On the night of day 5 all patrols go to an outpost camp, that night the adult leaders prepare a feast for all of the scout leaders, they help if they want or they sit around and take it easy. It is usually Ribeye Steaks at least 2 for each scout, mushrooms, grilled onions, baked potatoes, and baked beans, with a dessert (did I mention that one of the adult cooks use to run a bakery?) that night is usually a late night for the scout leaders, they get together for a little campfire.

The scout leaders pick from the participants who should be invited back next year to serve on staff. Almost every participant wants to come back on staff, as a scout participant said last year after the course, Thunderbird rocks Dude!

What this is coming down to is the scout leaders are treated like adults, and they come through every year! There are issues that come up, but they are worked through usually by the scout leaders, but the adult leaders are right there for whatever is needed.

Now for a little story about last year during one of the pre meetings, The Wood Badge staff was meeting at the same camp that we where. Somehow it was decided that the Wood Badge staff where going to give the Scouts a few of the presentations from Wood Badge. One thing that we do in the pre meetings is the scouts present the presentations to the troop, the troop than gives the scout suggestion on how to improve the presentation, it could be as simple as speak up or you missed a very important part of the information. The 3 SPLs and 3 ASPLs decided (I think Rover Scout had something to do with this, he is a poster that has posted here before) that they would give the Wood Badge presenter a little constructive criticism. You should have seen the look on the Wood Badger faces while they where getting information on how to improve their presentation from 15 and 16 year olds!

A requirement for the course is the scout participants have to be at least 1st Class and have attended a weeklong campout. The participants should be your leaders of the future for your troop, send us your best and JLTC will help them take the next step in leadership.

Every year we have a least 1 scout per troop that is homesick, seems that these are the SM or ASM sons that have never gone camping without their dads along.

LPC Thumber this course was started by the current advisor in about 1985, it has grown into this course, just by word of mouth from the scouts that attend. Make it fun, treat the scouts like it is their program, and let them run it.

Not sure what will happen next year with JLTC 21st century, but I am sure this is not the first time the training has changed since 1985!

Eamonn Dude (that was said with a smile on my face and inflection of respect in my voice)

My Bad this is a Council JLTC.

Hey Dan Dude or is it Dude Dan?

Could be my lack of lingo 101?

What does "My bad this is a council JLTC" mean?

Does Bad mean good ? Cool? Hip? Far out? or Totally Rad?

As Ever a Totally Cool Dude

Eamonn

(All in jest.)