Wood Badge Bead Presentation Ceremonies

Our council leaves the choice up to the recipient, but I've only seen them done at Roundtable in the format outlined by Bob White. It's a nice ceremony, and I plan to use it but it'll be done at one of our troop meetings.

While I'd agree with Eamonn that the boys won't count their presence at a Wood Badge ceremony as one of the most memorable moments in their lives, it doesn't necessarily mean it won't have meaning to them. Case in point. A former SM went through Wood Badge a few years ago. To my knowledge he never shared any of the experiences with the boys and didn't invite any any of them to his ceremony. It was acknowledged after the fact at a troop meeting, but the boys really had no idea what they were clapping about. Bottom line: he never gave them any indication that they should care and they didn't.

In contrast, when I and a fellow assistant SM went through Wood Badge we made a point of sharing the experience with the boys. It had nothing to do with the former SM, we just felt they should be included in the process. We've always worn our Wood Badge neckerchiefs and woggles. We always have something identifying our patrols with us. When working ticket items that required the troop's help, we explained the purpose of what we were doing and why and the Scout's were always eager to help. During a session on "spirit" we displayed our patrol flags, totems, and our hiking staves. They were fascinated by all of it. Do they fully comprehend the purpose of Wood Badge? No. Do they understand (on some level) that we're taking a training course to help us do a better job for them? Yes.

For that reason alone the choice of where to hold the ceremony is easy for me. However, as it says in my Wood Badge binder: "You have taken a challenge to improve your knowledge of the Scouting program and to enhance your abilities to provide leadership to youth". In addition, the ticket is intended to be worked in support of that portion of the "BSA program in which you are involved." After 18 months of working to improve my leadership and to strengthen my unit, I couldn't conceive of holding my ceremony anyplace other than in front of the 35 reasons I had for taking the training in the first place.

All that remains is to consult with the PLC to see when we can schedule the ceremony.