Is there a comprehensive list of "all" SM training?

Everytime I ask my council and asociates, they don't know.

So, I can come up with:

Youth Protection * MUST - have had 3 times in 6 months

Fast Start * Must - have had

New LEader Essentials * Must - have had

SM and ASM Specific * Must - have had

Intro to Outdoor skills I, II * is this a must? or the next outdoor class? BALOO? - have had

Climb on Safely * oppional? have had

Safe Swim Defense * Oppional? have had

Trek Safely * Oppional? Have had

Safety Afloat * oppional ? HAve had

Wood Badge * oppional, but have heard that if done right is a LOT of fun

I know there is more.

And of these which are "essential", "manditory",

"recommended", "extras", and

"Just Fun to Have".

EG: Which ones MUST I have

, which ones would help,

and which ones could I skip

due to ($, time, -lack of, ect)

Thanks

Suz

new SM

Your question pertained to Scoutmaster training. Strictly speaking, much of the training that you listed, while a great idea, are not specifically SM training. Is your real question, what training would be of interest to a SM? Then I'd say ALL!

For example, BALOO is Pack specific. But it would help if a SM had that training. It helps if the SM knows the role of committee, so I would not mind seeing a SM take the committee challenge! (Not all agree.)

The only specific SM training is oddly enough, Scoutmaster Leader Specific training!

There is more official training out there than you can shake a stick at. For example, there are about 35 different units of training available just for commissioners.

The Leadership Training Committee Guide is a good reference. It discusses the trainings for the various adult leader positions and the requirements to be considered "trained" for each position. The Guide to Safe Scouting also refers to specific trainings such as Safe Swim Defense that are needed to engage in certain activities.

All Scout leader training is divided into 4 categories.

1)Introductory

2)Basic

3)Advanced

4)Supplementary

for a Scoutmaster

Introductory

-Fast Start Video (not required for the completing Basic Training)

2)Basic

-New Leader Essentials

-Scoutmaster/asst. SM Leader Specific Training

-Introduction to Outdoor Skills

Completion of these three earn the Trained leader strip.

Advanced

- Wood Badge

Supplementary

-Youth Protection

-Roundtable

-Scouters College

-Okpik

-Philmont Conferences

and many others

Hope this helps,

B:)b White

Note that Youth Protection training is categorized as "supplemental" . Activities that require a tour permit require one adult that has completed the training. Its also required for some Cub Scout leader awards. Other than that, Im not aware of any requirement for YPT. To be sure, its still a good training for any adult leader to have.

WOw FAST responses.

As a new SM, having completed what I listed above, next step? I am to go to Outdoor Leader Essentials next month (barring emergencies).

What is the differnce between:

BALOO - Cub Scouts

Outdoor Leader Essentials - BOy Scouts

Intro to Outdoor Skills - BOy Scouts

?

If a council did an outdoor training at a BOY SCOUT camp out but called it BALOO one time and Outdoor Skills I & II the next, which would be more likely to be right?

What is Okpik?

What I am taking away from this forum is that with the essential three (fast start, leader specific, and intro to outdoor) I am trained?

THe others are icing on the cake to do other "stuff"?

THanks again.

"What is the differnce between:

BALOO - Cub Scouts

Outdoor Leader Essentials - BOy Scouts

Intro to Outdoor Skills - BOy Scouts

? "

As far as the national program goes..

there is no such course as Outdoor Leader Essentials. If in fact your district or council is offering one they may have taken the liberty to rename Introduction to Outdoor Skills. Which is not a problem. Or did you mean New Leader Essentials?

Introduction to Outdoor Skills is the last step in Scoutmaster or Asst. SM basic training. It provides you the skills and knowledge to do and teach all the outdoor skill requirements leading to the First Class rank.

BALLOO is a course designed to certify Cub Scout packs to host and participate in Family Camping. It is unrelated to any Scoutmaster training.

Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (a new syllabus has just been released) Teaches Webelos Leaders to do Den Camping with their Webelos and to complete the requirements for the outdoor oriented Webelos Skill Awards. It is designed to be held in tandem with Introduction to Outdoor Skills.

Okpik- is Winter survival skill traininig.

"What I am taking away from this forum is that with the essential three (fast start, leader specific, and intro to outdoor) I am trained? "

Nope, close but not quite.

For Scoutmasters and Asst. SM you need New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster Job Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Skills, to complete your basic training.

Hope this Helps

OK, I know I will be accused of going off-topic, but I really can't help asking:

Is there any particular reason why you have taken YP training 3 times in 6 months? Are you one of the actors in the video and just want to admire your work?

Once every three years is the rule in my council. I have also received a notice that my Youth Protection Facilitator Certification lapses after a year unless I either take THAT training again, or facilitate a YP course at least once in that period. But that still would not account for 3 times in 6 months.

An Individual must be approved by the Council Scout Executive to deliver the YP Training. Most Councils hold a special training to prepare theYP presenters in training materials and in the local laws and procedures that vary by council.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Every training I attended YP was in it somewhere in the middle, couldn't come late or leave early. They had it set up so to step out for a cup of coffee, might be late getting back, or miss the next class. (not running on tight schedule) So rather than miss, I sat through YP each time.

I must say, though, the last time, I did pick up more than the first time. The discussion on the last group I was with was a lot better. We had sherrif, local cops (a larger city), and several teachers, and some "old" Scouters. Of these most had been through an incidence either in Scouts, School, or enforcement. So even though I wanted to skip, I was better i didn't.

Oh, I copied the "outdoor Leader Essentials" from the sign up sheet the council faxed me.

So, will call them today and ask if it is Oudoor Leader Essentials or Intro to Outdoor Skills.

Great forum, good to get straight answers.

THANKS

Hey Bob; you said something above about WELOT and OSI? I'm familiar with both programs (although not the new WELOT syllabus) but could you elaborate on the 'running in tandem' aspect? We're just getting the next presentation together and would hate to be missing something

Thanks

YP should be included in every adult leader training session. And now it is available on-line! It's easy to complete and every unit should get ALL their adult leaders to complete the course.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Sure Buffalo2,

The new WELOT (Webelos Leader Outdoor Training) syllabus is just now being distributed. It is a one day (or I understand can be an overnighter) that is designed to be done at the same time that IOLS (Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skill) with some of the instruction shared with both groups (such as the skills round robin). Info that is program specific such as the Webelos skillaward requirements would be held in separate breakout sessions.

I think this is a great way to go. Not only is it more efficient bu will help introduce troop Leaders and webelos Leaders to each other.

Hope this answers your question.

That's correct about YP facilitator training, it was mainly a "practical" session geared toward the specific things someone doing the YP training in our council needs to know, like where and when to pick up the materials packet and video, what is in the packet, what needs to be filled out, where and when the materials need to be returned, who to speak to for questions, all that sort of thing. We were also given some materials. The only "substantive" aspect was that a few people asked questions about questions that have been asked by trainees in sessions they have attended, and suggested responses were discussed. This session was part of my council's "University of Scouting/Cub Leader Pow-Wow."

I went along with my CM mainly because we were discussing doing the training ourselves for some den leaders who were lagging behind in going to the inconveniently-located council sessions. After the course we discussed inviting parents to the session as well, both so they will understand what is being done to protect their children and for their own information. It is one of the things we didn't get around to while I was still in the pack.