How about if those of us involved in training exchange tips on things we use to enhance training sessions or make for better presentations.

For instance.

If you are at all handy in the workshop or have someone on staff who is, you might try this. I took two panels of masonite and 1 panel of pegboard. Each is 2ft wide X 3ft high and I built a wooden frame around each using ripped down 2X4s (about 1 1/2 X 1 1/2) Then I hinged them together so the fold up against each other. The to outer panels are cover with a lightweight looped outdoor carpet (car upholstery works too). One of the panels is the pegboard. The center panel is fixed with a header board held on with two bolts that will hold a flipchart pad in place.

So what I have ened up with is a portable presentation board that has a velcro board (The hoked side of velcro graps the carpet) a pegboard that will display books, woods tools, rope samples etc., and a flipchart for text and illustrations. All of which can be used seen at one time.

It has come in handy for a variety of training situations. (a little heavy to carry but well worth it.)

So please share your favorite training device or tip.

Bob White

With so many more Power Point presentations, it is important to try and use the best possible projector. One that can be used with at least some of the lights on.

It is also a good idea to have a print out to use as a handout, or copy the presentation to a disc.

When we first started to use power point, we had an old projector that was donated.

I prepared my presentation at home and in the office. Made all my nice note cards, only to find when it was time to present, I couldn't read them in the dark !!

As luck would have it, I had a back up copy of the presentation and another laptop, so all was not lost.

It is a good idea to practice your presentation under the conditions that you will be under.

Even the colors, that look great on your home computer, seem to change when projected. This can cause problems with text.

A pal of mine was using an overhead and thought that he would add a picture of a light bulb.

Mike is a real nice guy, but no artist.

When the Light bulb came up on the screen it looked like a giant backside.

It woke everyone up.

Last spring I taught a brief session on stoves for Outdoor Leader Skills. One of the points in the discussion was the stability of different stoves under different conditions. Most stoves and cooking gear in the market are designed for small groups (four or less). If one is cooking for a larger patrol you need a stove that is stable with a large pot. We actually had a large pot filled with water so the trainees could judge for themselves how the different stoves performed.

BW, great idea. In a TDC class a presenter used cut up peices of white wall board (like you'd put in a shower-can't think of what its called)as a dry marker board. I could see that incorporated into your board design.

I have a bucket from the hardware store with the leather belt that goes around it (designed for tools) but have all sorts of tools in it ie post it pads, markers, pens, staples, tape, velcro. All those things that you wish you had at training every now and then.

Eammon brings up a good point on using computer-based projection equipment. Prepared a Powerpoint pitch once and ended up having to use a large television to present with... The backgrounds were dark and oppressive and the colored lettering that looked so good on the PC was quite an eyesore. Would have been better off with black-and-white prints on 11x17, which is now my backup plan. Live and learn!

And isn't this sort of discussion refreshingly productive after seeing what goes on in the Issues and Politics forum?

Some good presentation tips to remember for PowerPoint presentations.

Light lettering on a dark backgroound is easier to read and mor comfortable for the viewer's eyes.

Never use less than 36pt type.

Maximum info on a page...3 lines of no more than 6 words each, or 6 lines of no more than 3 words each

Limit special effects to rare or never

Images should enhance your words not repeat them.

Localize the national presentations with local info and pictures. You can copy the template so your new slides look like they are part of national's.

Turn the laptop around so that you are facing the audience as you follow the program from the laptop screen rather than turning your back to the audience and reading the projected image.

Bob White

This is refreshing.

Our Wood Badge Coordinator has a 4x6 (roughly) PVC stand that he has fabric designed to fit over and uses it for a fabric board, and fits a pad of paper on too or a portable marker board.

He is very skilled in using it and makes his presentations always interesting.

If you are looking for cheap flip chart or banner paper try your local newspaper publisher. Ours sells us roll-ends of newsprint for $1 a roll. The rolls are about 36" wide and often 50ft to 200ft long. Markers do not bleed through them, and they are recyclable.

Bob White

TIPS:

Remember that not everyone drinks coffee or tea.

Have someone other then the person who is presenting, keep check on the clock. Give signals when 5 mins. Or so to go.

Don't give a handout to everyone and the read it.

Wearing you full Wood Badge regalia, does sent a message.

Not wearing full uniform sends a message ??

Pick only presenters who care. Even if there is someone better on the topic. The person who cares will do a better job.

Eat lunch with the participants, not the staff.

VCRs are cheap - Have a spare. (We used to use combos- But the local hospital donated TV's, so we now buy $50.00 VCRs)

We have a file with all the handouts in. The person in charge of the course is to make sure that this is refilled. Next person in charge checks again.

Remember how you were feeling at the first training, that you attended.

The reflection process works really well after the training for the staff.

People will pay good money for good training.

Make it known, that you know what you are talking about and that you are not going to waste the participants time.

If a question is asked and you don't know the answer. Admit it. Try and find the answer or tell them where to look. Don't try and bluff it.

Excellent points Eamonn!

Here is a favorite of mine. Rather than name tags we do name tents that sit in front of the participant. Fold a corner to keep them standing up-right all day. On the side that faces the participant we have printed the day's agenda.

Bob

Although there are literally thousands of good ideas out there for enhancing ones training abilities and talents, there's only really three that I've kept in the back of my head when serving on staff or as course director.

First, regarding computers, I've been an advocate of having a Plan 'B'. If for some reason your computer has a major glitch or the power fails, be ready at moments notice to make your entire presentation the old fashioned way.

Second, in any kind of training, be it working with Scouts or adult leaders, and as in business...know your client. Be totally aware of who you're addressing and key your methods and message to that audience.

And third, believe in the message you convey. Sell your information, don't just preach it. Your audience needs to know that you have completely and totally bought into what you're presenting, and that you make it a part of your life and Scouting. If you can convey to your audience that you believe utterly in what you're saying, chances are they'll actually believe you. And once they believe you, you're more than halfway there.

Eammon - in the midst of all of this great stuff you've drilled to the heart of it I think "Remember how you were feeling at the first training that you attended"

If I can help create for the participants a fraction of what I felt when I attended training then I have done well... Still remembering the old SMs that took the time to share their own training and experiences with those of us that were new or just getting back to the program.

I particularly like the idea of eating with the participants instead of hanging around with the good old boys on Staff. And don't forget to remind your students that every one of them brings something unique to the table, and that they may learn as much from their fellows as they will from the presenters.

On powerpoint slides:

- Look at your slides and listen to the audio from the worst/furthest seat in the room and adjust accordingly.

- The Times New Roman font looks great on a computer monitor, but often gets illegible on a TV with a VGA converter or a projector. I've found that Arial Bold is much more readable regardless of medium.

I love podiums, and we got in the habit of using a portable battery-powered one for ceremonies, COHs, etc. The SPLs really appreciated it; added a touch of professionalism and helped their confidence, too.

KS

Great Ideas Eamonn!

Made me think of some others - we bought two 30 cup coffee pots at goodwill for $5. One has water and one coffee. We then have packets of decaf, cocoa, cider, and some ice water.

The person in back with time remaining is great too.

Here's a couple of new ones- Have the person doing registration right everyone's name done on the attendance sheet. Then the registrar only has to read one person's hand writing and it gets filled out correctly.

We also found out that for Cub Leader Specific, it was cheaper to have the council buy the leader books at their discounted price than to print all the suggested handouts. Every Cub Scouter gets the handbook then.

Here is an additional question for all: Many of us use cue cards in our presentation. Do any of you have them on the computer where they can be printed out? My hand writing is bad, so I type a lot of mine out, but don't have them all. Perhaps we could share?

Bob H aka Overtrained

For most BSA training I copy or download the syllabus, then glue it to index cards that have two holes punched in them and I use ring binders.

I used to use one, but have found two works better for me.

I then highlight the "Important Bits" in one color. The bits that I have opted to write on a flip chart are done in another color, and then there are dots to remind me to turn the page.

With so many of the trainings now on disk, you can spent an entire evening play with this. It does ensure that you know what is in the syllabus.