Arrow of Light Requirements

Help! My son's Webelos AOL den leader just stepped down.

Question: For AOL requirement 6, it asks each boy to schedule a SM conference after a "talk with your Webelos den leader."

What basic topics should the "talk with your Webelos leader" cover?

Thanks!

Most of the boys are pretty nervous about it.....

I generally discuss what to expect to speaking with the SM.

I ask them what they thought of their webelos experience, what they would change....how they are doing in school, about their friends and activities.. Are they planning to continue in scouting, any concerns????

Thank you!

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure........

The hardest part is going to be connecting with the local troops. Unfortunately, we don't feed into a troop. I have sent emails and left messages for the SMs. One SM phone number was disconnected. They don't attend RT. I thought about showing up early to a troop meeting to see if I can chat and schedule a visit/campout or hike. Suggestions?

It is not a quiz, there are no set "topics" required to be covered.

It's just a talk.

Ask how they are doing. Ask about family, school, sports.

Are they on a team. What's their favorite sport.

Will they be going to a new Middle School. Ask how they feel about that.

Talk about their Cub years. What they like best/least.

What do they think of their time as a Webelos (like/hate/change/etc).

What do they think of Boy Scouting. What they would like to do as a Boy Scout. Are they interested/excited/blase.

Which Troop they are most interested in, and why.

If you were a Scout, share a story from your experience.

Explain to them that a SM conference is just a talk too. A chance for the Webelos Scout and, his potential SM, to get to know a bit about each other.

You know, just TALK to them.

If you know when/where your local Troops meet then stopping in before, or after, a meeting for a quick chat with the SM is not a bad idea.

You can also stop in at a Committee meeting. Contact the CO to find out where/when.(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Scoutnut our CO has no clue when our committee meets. Am pretty sure we are not in the minority on this. Try contacting your District Executive about getting current phone numbers of Scoutmasters or show up before a scout meeting and have a chat.(This message has been edited by kbandit)

If a Troop meets on their own, outside of the CO's facilities, then you are right, the CO would not necessarily know when it's Troop's Committee meets. However, if the Troop is utilizing meeting space in their CO (as many do), then it would have to be scheduled with/through them.

It certainly would not hurt to ask.