Treating bamboo

I have some dead bamboo sticks that I got from a parents farm and I'm going to use it for den flag poles. What is the best way to treat this. Right now it is full of bugs and needs trimmed up to look better. Any ideas?

Thanks

Full of bugs as in bugs eating the bamboo fibers, or just living inside the sticks? If they're just living there, a hose sprayer and maybe a scrub brush should do the trick. If they've infested the bamboo, not sure, you might need to use more aggressive chemicals.

As far as a finish - like paint or stain - bamboo I've worked with has a natural wax that you have to sand off before it'll take any coating. If these are old, maybe that's already gone, but I'd take one, clean off the bugs, sand it with some 100 or 150 grit sandpaper and see if you get a color you like (go with a few passes of finer grits if you want a smoother finish). Then maybe rub it down with some mineral spirits and paint a couple thin coats of urethane (or your favorite outdoor finish) over it.

Mostly you can treat bamboo the same as any other somewhat waxy/oily wood.

Any idea what species it is? How big is it (diameter)? Is it green with leaves still attached?

I agree with JMHawkins...if the 'bugs' are eating the bamboo that is one problem. But if they are living 'on' the bamboo, you might be able to just douse it with rubbing alcohol or a detergent solution. A lot depends on the bamboo as well as the 'bugs'.

The bamboo is dead and the bugs are just living on there. We had a good rainstorm the last two days so maybe that washed most everything off. I'll check them out to see how they look and then maybe sand them down.

Thanks,

In that case, once you're satisfied with the trim and that the bugs are gone, you do need to seal it the way JMHawkins describes in order to prevent it from splitting. I use spar varnish (fishing poles) but polyurethane will probably work well too. Then keep them dry. Bamboo will rot really quickly if it stays moist.