When do your Webelos cross over?

Yep, there is a bit of culture shock going from Cub to Boy Scouts.

However - your Webelos program is supposed to address some of that. Webelos should be a transition from spoon-fed Cubs, to do it yourself Boy Scouts.

It sounds like your former Webelos expected Boy Scouts to be pretty much like Cub Scouts.

Instead of telling the Scoutmaster how he should change the Troop, consider training your Webelos leaders, and making sure they do a better job of transitioning the Webelos and their families.

Does it ever happen that a Webelos acts like a provisional member of a troop. Say goes to their meetings, attends a campout without parents, while still attending den events. Maybe for a month. Would the best way to start working away from homesickness be for scouts to sleep in seperate tents from their parents, or perhaps have the parents even sleep on the far side of the camp site...100 feet instead of 100 yards?

Does it ever happen that a Webelos acts like a provisional member of a troop. Say goes to their meetings, attends a campout without parents, while still attending den events.

This is what my son did and part of the reason he chose a different troop than our affiliated one.

The troop he chose suggested he start coming to regular meetings and do everything except work on advancement. I believe that feeling like part of the group will overcome a lot of the trials and tribulations.

On a related topic (maybe should spin a thread), whose job is it to prepare Webelos for the "culture shock" of Boy Scouts?

Yes, Webelos is a transition program. However, WDLs are not SMs and don't live and breathe the Boy Scouting program.

All great replies. Thanks so much. This years W2 group did a couple of outings with the troop but no overnighters. I think that may be a problem. This years W2 leader had 2 boys in the troop already and this 3rd crossed over. He is doing fine. The others are the ones having problems adjusting. I will take some of the advice given and have next years W2s do more with the troop. I'm sure the SM will be agreeable to this. Should I also have the W1s do things with the troop or just the W2s?

Brew,

BUT it is one of the jobs of the WDL to get them ready. My advice is to get a good Denc Chief, and start letting the DC run things,i.e conducting meetings, signing off on advancement, talking about troop programing, etc.

Also I know that in my pack, historically the Web Is don't do anything with the troop until the Web II's cross over. I'm hoping to change it a bit b/c A) my Bear den is chomping at the bit to camp more ( had one last month and another next week. AND had a parent ask "When can they start camping as a Webelos Den?") and B) I know the district camporee chief has some wickedly good ideas that I know the Webelos would like to see. :)

I would never tell the SM to change his program or how to run it. He has been involved in scouting way longer than I have. I was told by the SM that the troop and pack used to share meeting space. The pack would meet from 630-730pm then the troop would meet afterwards. Ever since I have been involved with the pack we have had separate meeting space and the pack still meets at 630pm and the troop meets at 730pm. The troop typically finishes around 9pm. In my next meeting with the SM I was just going to bring this up to fully understand their meeting time so I and my WDL can explain to the many parents who ask us. Then I would ask about if they ever consider meeting earlier.