Tool age guidelines for cubs

Came across this link in another forum:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/healthsafety/pdf/680-028.pdf

Are you kidding me? No paint rollers or carts to be used by under 14? Most boys above tiger age can handle electric screwdrivers, small sanders, and even Dremels IMO.

Heck, our 9 and 10 year old Webelos were using post hole diggers at a council camp last summer to put in a trail sign.

I guess these are just "guidelines" and not "rules."

This gives the onsite leader a fall back reason, in counseling Sammy Cub that he should not be using the rock hammer, while Dad Sam is asking why his little tool user is not being allowed to use the impact drill? Uses it all the time at home...

It's kinda like me telling my daughter that she could always use me as a reason to back out of an uncomfortable situation: "my daddy wouldn't let me" might sound better to her friends than "I won't do it 'cause it's dumb and dangerous"."

Common sense and good leadership says don't give a Tiger cub a 10' aluminum extension roller when there is an exposed powerline 8 feet overhead.

For that matter, both Cub and Webelos camps in our area use a combination of two- and four-wheeled carts to haul gear around. I guess we need to make sure that only adults use those to pull gear to camp.

Should a boy try to manhandle a wheelbarrow full of concrete? No. Can he push one around on a park cleanup? Yes.

Blanket guidelines such as these discourage true leadership and good decision-making.

YMMV...