CM duty - organize Webelos

I am looking for some clarification on the CM job description, specifically on "help organize a Weblos den."

We are a small but established Pack. There is only one Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos 1st year and Webelos 2nd year den. So the boys just stay together as a group as they move to the next level. I am an Eagle Scout but spent less than a year as a Webelos so I have no experience to lean on.

Is this something mainly for large packs?

Confused,

ISZ

How small is small?

A single combined Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos den is not a very good idea unless you only have one of each level.

The Tiger program is significantly different from the Wolf/Bear programs, which are again very different from the Webelos program. If you have more than one Scout in a level you should have a separate den.

If you only have 5 Scouts in your Pack then you should be working on recruitment and growing your Pack to a workable/sustainable size.

Work with your Committee Chair to recruit more leaders, and Scouts, and to form dens for each level.

Well without further details it sounds like you have established dens for each level. But I would suggest reading the Cub Scout Leader Book as it adds some more details. You mainly want to try and make sure that your Webelos have an active and interesting program, that they have two deep leadership and are going on overnighters with proper support, that they are visiting and interacting with Troops, and that they are getting enough support to advance. You also want to take steps to continue to recruit new families into the program and to help them get established. And of course you want to work with the Pack Committee and CC to do all of this and to help recruit and train leaders.

The help organize a Webelos den is a interesting CM responsibility because Cubmasters should be busy promoting all age-level dens in their Pack, not just Webelos. At a minimum, I think the spirit of this requirement is to remind CMs to be educated about the Webelos program because it is significantly different from the Wolf/Bear level. It is considered a transition period to Boy Scouting. Provide resources for the Webelos Den Leaders including a copy of the Webelos Leaders Handbook a great resource to get them started.

One of the biggest changes for the Webelos is their ability to camp overnight as Den and be separate from the rest of the Pack in that activity. Also, rather than working on achievements, they work on activity badges (pins).

Actually, they are a bit different. A Webelos Den needs contacts with Boy Scout Troops in the area. This kind of cross-connection is right up the alley for the Cubmaster, as a Webelos Den Leader may not have the experience working with leaders/parents outside their den. A good, social Cubmaster can build those bridges.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with organizing a Webelos den. All that encompasses is giving the WDL a list of contacts and checking later to make sure he or she followed through. I just don't see why this item is singled out in the CM duties list - nor do I think the OP should put much time into worrying about it.

The item actually says:

"Help organize Webelos dens and encourage graduation into a Boy Scout troop."

Okay, kinda vague, but I take it to mean help them get organized - not create one.

By organzining, it more to mean help the Webelos den transition from being like Tiger, Wolf, and Bear dens into slowly becoming boy scouts.

Things liek letting the boys vote on a patrol name, flag, patch. Let the boys have more input on camping activities or places for when they camp as a den.

Work WITH the Webelos DL in setting up meetings with thetroop, joint acttivities and service projects, See if you can't get the boys to be invited to a COH just watch.

Maybe they can be a guest patrol in a troop at a Boy Scout camporee ( if the council/ district allows it)

Anyways, I do not take it to mean create a Webelos den. Just help them out.

At this point, if you have to create a Webelos den, you really need to take a big look at your other ranks and how they are doing things.

"A single combined Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos den is not a very good idea unless you only have one of each level."

ISZ - I did not mean one big combined den, but one den of each.

"By organzining, it more to mean help the Webelos den transition from being like Tiger, Wolf, and Bear dens into slowly becoming boy scouts."

ISZ - This is what I was thinking, but I figured it goes part-n-parcle with being a Webelos so why call it out specifically? Maybe trying to emphasize that they are different than Tiger/Wolf/Bear?

ISZ

" This is what I was thinking, but I figured it goes part-n-parcle with being a Webelos so why call it out specifically? Maybe trying to emphasize that they are different than Tiger/Wolf/Bear?"

Yeah, they are - somewhat.

In Webelos, you do not have free reign as a boy scout, but you are at a point where you are learning how to be a boy scout: Scout oath, scout law, scout promise, scout motto and salute.

You no longer work on electives or requirements for rank. Instead you work on activity badges which is akin to working on merit badges,

Parents can no longer sign off on parts of advancement, It must be the Webelos DL or ADL.

Boys can elect to us ea patrol; name for their den , patrol call, patch and flag. Still a den, but would be ( for example) called "The Cougar Den" instead of just the Webelos Den.

As Webelos, they can go camping as a den only. No otrhervranks with them , just Webelos.

So, they are still Cub Scouts, but like the upperclass of scouts.