Post B&G Blues

Ahhhh Yes, the conundrum that continues... You will have some that say B/G should just be a Birthday Party for Cub Scouts, and some that push advancement for the pack by B/G, which puts a disadvantage for boys just joining in the fall and undo pressure on DL's who are also starting in the fall to get the boys advancements done in 5-6 months, instead of 9 mos.

Our pack falls into that latter category because that's the way it always has been done. As CM, I'm trying to change that mentality, but it's hard to do. My busiest times of the year are now and right at the beginning of school. My DL's have gotten the hard part done by getting their advancements done, Now it's up to me to give them a break and plan some pack activities to have some fun and still provide a solid program. We've still got our Spring campout coming up, A Pack service project, and spring recruiting efforts to do. Then I can think about the summer with Day Camp and Resident Camp back to back.

Baseball is a prevelent player for us as well, I just have to keep the boys engaged to keep them coming back during the spring. I'll still have some miss the Spring campout because of baseball games, even though we scheduled this 9 months ago and had the calendar already set. That's OK, more BBQ brisket for the rest of us on the campout :)

Our Council's camp is going to be happening over the next 3 weekends and we have boys going to at least 2 of the 3 sessions, and a "record" for the number attending in one session. In May we were able to get the John Thompson property for a weekend and we are planning on putting a big family camp out with games and exhibitions. My den is planning on doing a LNT presentation at that one and I hope each of the boys is able to draw a poster and come to that event to earn the LNT.

We're in the process of ramping up summer programs but I was just very surprised by the drop off.

Raingutter regatta

Fishing derby

Memorial Day parade

Resident camp

Fierman's parade

Pack picnic

That was our pack schedule post B&G, and my boys milked to the fullest.

Plus they had April birthdays, so the den was invited, and for magic tricks the boys would be whipping and fusing rope or learning to play British Bulldog.

Our average attendance at Den and Pack Meetings attendance goes down as well after Blue & Gold. It picks up again after about a month or two. This has always happened in the past. Some of it is due to sports (baseball, soccer) and to some extent parents just need a break from the weekly schedule after a very busy Fall and Winter. I've learned as a leader to "back off" from parents and cut some slack. Scouts is a year-round program and boys can take a break when they need it during certain times of the year. Even as a CM, I build in some personal break times during the year.

All that said about lower meeting attendance, post B&G is my favorite time of the year as we go into Spring and early Summer. This is our time of outdoor events, picnics, service projects, campouts, and Cub Day Camp. We even take in our annual trip to a major league baseball game.