I've decided to build a cub mobile for my den to use in the district cub mobile race in June. I'm looking around the Internet and finding a lot of nice designs. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with this. What are the pros and cons of using 4x4s and 2x6s instead of 4x4s?

Hi

There was a discussion just a few weeks ago here on the subject with some good information if you can find it. As to your question, use only 2x4's. The rest is way too heavy and over kill for what you need.

Barry

""I've decided to build a cub mobile ...""

As much as you can, keep the Cubs in the design and building of the CMobile. Pounding nails, staples and bolt and nut turning is something every Cub can get into. Sawing a straight line, ummm, ooo, leave that to dad and Cub. Hand drills are available. Brace and bit. No power tools, natch.

Visit your neighborhood lawn mower repair place, see if they can help with wheels and axles, both used and new.. The mechanics there would love to let the Cubs visit their shop , too, I bet. Check Wolf and Bear requirements, and Web Handy man , too.

Pride of skill and good craftsmanship can be learned at any age.

See the book "Superpower" by David Weitzman

Pub. by Godine, Boston,1987

It details how steam locomotives were designed and built way back when, thru the eyes of a young apprentice foundryman. Planning, patience, craftsmanship, pride of accomplishment, teamwork,loyalty, and no computers!

KiS MiF!

YiS