How long should one serve as Cubmaster?

I'd say as long as they do a good job and you can keep them. My years in scouting have shown me two things. Packs often have greater numbers than troops because it is easier to recruit the little guys. Troops operate more smoothly because leaders hang around longer and are not constantly reinventing the wheel. Packs do, because of Cub and parent turnover in short periods of time. There is less continuity in packs than in troops. Back around 2003, my son joined as a Webelos. Our Cubmaster was serving as a Troop Guide on a Wood Badge course and he recruited 4 of us to attend. That started a trend in the Pack to get leaders trained for their job as well as getting WB trained. It gave the Pack leaders a greater awareness and understanding of scouting, a network of like minded people to draw from and the leadership skills needed to operate an organization. Here it is, 9 years later and that Pack is one of the strongest Packs around, has spawned a Boy Scout Troop and continues to pump out trained leaders. Part of the secret has been continuity. The leaders are trained and see a bigger picture and tend to remain in their positions longer which makes for less chaos and reinventing the wheel. If you "sucker" someone into Cubmaster and they do a good job, try to keep them there as long as possible. ;)

As long as you are enjoying it and are good at it.

I felt like one year was too short for people to feel comfortable with it and learn how to do a good job. If I were to pick a number, I'd say three years would be good. In our pack, it's always been "until your son ages out".

"In our pack, it's always been 'until your son ages out'."

Yep, our Pack has the same expectation and that seems to be the "default" setting regarding tenure. My youngest son is going through the Pack right now and he will not age-out for another 3 years. I've been doing adult leader roles (DL, WDL, ACM, ASM) for quite a while starting with my oldest son, but I don't think I am willing do another 3 years of CM even though I had a very good first year. I better call the CC and COR and re-set their expectations and get the succession plan moving along.

I think it may be asking a lot to do it until son ages out. It's a hard job. I am guessing there aren't any rules about it, because it's not like you can force a volunteer to serve if they are done with it.

My personal opinion is that it should be a minimum of 2 years, as long as you are enjoying it and are doing a good job, in order to have some continuity in leadership. If you want to do it for longer, that's awesome. Packs have a lot of turnover, since cubbies are only there for 5 years. But if you are burnt out and done, then by all means, step out.

I am working on my second year.

I originally told them I'd do it for 2 years, but that changed to : "As long as you want me to do it."

Which all the committee and leadership were estatic over.

But now I am reconsidering it.

No, I'm not tired of it or burned out, but something happened that I just cannot ignore.

There is a leader who ...well...it's like the CM position was created with him in mind.

I made a point of ste[pping it up a notch or 12, I made sure thing were focused back around the boys instead of teh adults. I made sure things were more fun and energetic>

And this guy just blossomed !

I had to step down from being the emcee at our B&G and PWD due to losing 2 family members and a freaking cold on top of that.

I asked thgis guy to stand in for me and let me tell you what!

I was blown away!

So, even though I wouldn't mind continuing as CM for a couple more years.....I couldn't - in good conscience - be CM if this guy would be willing to step up and take trhe roll>

And that goes back to how I feel the pack should work.

I did it for five or six years the first time. Then I became the pack trainer. The most recent CM has been a no-show since September, so I've been helping out by doing the job. I'll be back on the charter as CM when we recharter next month. This time I expect to stay only long enough to help the pack over the rough patch.

I haven't had a son in the Pack for 12 years and I am still the CM of our Pack. Why? As I tell the parents-I believe in the mission of the Scouts and have the time. If someone with a son in the Pack wanted to do the job, then I'd let them and stay on as either CC or MC. As long as the person who is CM is willing and doing a good job, let them stay on as long as they want.

After 3+ years I turned the CM position over to an experienced Den Leader January 1st.

I was out of ideas and my hope is new leaders will have new ideas that will improve the pack.

Right now I'm COR and a pack committee member. I have someone attending our committee meeting tonight who might be an excellent COR to replace me.

I may take over as Pack Treasurer to get that job done better and until I can find a good person to replace me.

I don't aim for long tenure. I aim to get a quality job done and to bring new people into positions of leadership as fast as I can find them.

Well...I talked to my Cm prospect again tonight, and he all but said he'd do it>

I think he is going to do it.

Right now, he is our Tiger DL, but he stepped down to that position from Bear DL. He has 3 sons in our pack as Tiger, Bear, and 2nd year Webelos.

So, he has been active withour pack for at least 5 years, and has very fond memories of scouting hgimself. He only went as far as Life or Star ( I forget which one he told me) but stayed in it till he aged out. He kinda wishes he went for Eagle, but will also tell you he doesn't regret that he didn't.

He had a blast in scouting and it really shows.

So I am thinking of stepping down to ACM with the pack, and was asked tonight if I would become an ASM for the troop.