Starting Tiger Cub Dens

I plan out the first 3-6 meetings ahead of time along with 1 or 2 go-see-its. Then sit down with the adults ASAP and make assignments. Eat the elephant one bite at a time. Rather than task one adult/boy team with hosting an entire meeting, I assign (do not ask) each team a different part of the meeting.

Team A teach a new game as gathering activity for week 3

Team B lead opening ceremony for week 3

Team C lead advancement activity for week 3

Team D lead elective activity for week 3

Team E teach a new song

etc

etc

Then everyone gets copies of all the 3-6 den meeting plans with the names assigned. Pass out the resource material here (game book, songbook, handouts etc). If a team doesn't show up, that part of the meeting does not get done. They'll figure that out pretty quickly.

The first meeting is mine as Pack Trainer. The second and third meetings, I coach them through (or someone else, like CM or previous TDL). Fourth meeting I am intentionally absent helping out the other dens. After that you can check in from time-to-time. Be prepared to pitch in and demonstrate by example if the meeting seems to be faltering, but keep up a running dialog with the adults as you're doing this so as to not seem like you are taking over the meeting (because they will want you to).

By the time they get finished with your pre-planned meetings, the adult candidates for leadership will be obvious. Hopefully you are not in a position where you have to take the only volunteer you can get, but have a few people to consider and approach by now.

I figure this was a rhetorical question, since it's the end of November. But I will go ahead and state the obvious. Don't let the parents mill about in the back of the room texting on their cell phones. Every game, opening, craft etc should be lined up boy-parent-boy-parent-boy-parent. If Junior is coloring, so is dad. If they're taking home pinecone bird feeders, mom makes one too.

I hope this helps,