Lousy "Smithsonian" kits

It's been a while since we've bought one of those Smithsonian-branded science kits and now I remember why.

Now, the BSA has teamed up with the maker of these kits to put stickers on the kits showing what loop or pin they help complete. We were at the scout shop and son wanted two of the kits. Well, you have your own money, go ahead, I said. Normally money burns a hole in his pocket but he had been doing better saving his allowance lately.

Anyhow, I know these kits epitomize puffery when it comes to the picture on the box, and he wanted the triops aquarium. I asked the clerk if we could open the box first and she said ok, so we could see how small it actually was. He also picked up a mineral "excavating" kit that promised stones the size of quarters based on the picture but delivered pencil-eraser size pebbles.

So, save your money, invest in a real fish tank or take a field trip, etc. Or at least read the reviews online before you buy these kits to see what others have experienced. I wish I would have and based on the overwhelming number of one star reviews I probably would have counseled him to pass...

Although I guess he did learn a lesson, which is something...

Agreed, they are crap, certainly not the quality of Gilbert chemistry kits or Heathkit of yesteryear. I looked at a crystal radio kit they had and decided to have Cubs make their own (okay I soldered together a rock diode for them, but they built everything scratch). Build/bake from scratch and learn.

Amazing how many low quality, dumbed-down "kits" there are today. Why there are even smore kits, sold at the Scout store!

My $0.02

OOH! OOOH! Concept!!

"Campfire Cuisine" (keep frozen until ready to use)

Contains:

* 2 - aluminum foil squares, 18" x 18"

* 1 - celiphane pack flash frozen 8 oz. ground beef (USDA)

* 1 - celiphane pack flash frozen 4 0z. sliced carrots

* 1 - ditto pack 6 oz. sliced potatoes

* 1 - ditto 4 oz. chopped onions

* 1 - packet salt and pepper, plastic knife/fork/spoon

* 1 - orange ade mix

* 5 - ketchup packets

* 2 - mustard packets

* 1 - Ready-Up, Light E-Z charcoal grill (pat. pend.)

* 1 - Pack Matches (Lucifer brand)

Instructions:: well, you get the idea...

Oh, wait... I bet the military would like the idea of packaged meals, if they were ready to eat.

Makes me mad because I knew they were overpackaged and overpriced going in. But I am trying to make a point to not police what he spends his allowance on b/c it's his money. Something about experience being the best teacher? Didn't work for me apparently....