Cub Scout Roundtable

Last year I took charge of the Cub Scout Roundtable since no one else was paying attention. I usually ignored the "official" Roundtable program in favor of program targeted on dealing with particular serious problems most Cub Packs have to deal with, and often don't deal with effectively.

I tried to present programs that would improve those skills and get the best leader on the subject giving their best ways of solving those problems and issues.

For example, we did a Roundtable on methods of recruiting new adult leaders, and another on the best methods of recruiting new Cub Scouts.

August we are doing a program on managing the popcorn sale, with an emphasis on motivating Scouts and parents to sell and on effective ways for pack leaders to organize the popcorn sale.

As Cubmaster, I've identified the issues that were my biggest problems in rebuilding a pack, and supposed there were others who probably needed help with such topics as well.

We went from a corporal's guard of attendees to having what I'd consider reasonable turnout --- 15-20 people attending each month

I met with another district Scouter tonight and we put together a list of topics to discuss this year, and we will share in putting on the program. So I'll have a partner and a capable person to help with the program.

Maybe that will get us through another year.

Anyone care to comment on their own roundtable program and what they'd like to see done at Roundtable?

Our cub roundtable is done from the roundtable commisioners book and is pretty terrible.

I would love to attend a roundtable that is based on actual local cub issues. The topics you picked are relevant and always of interest....

You could add a session on ADD/ADHD. I think most of the scouters would be interested in that. I go to an ajoining district roundtable too.....they brought in a drug prevention expert who gave us a fantastic drug interdiction/prevention presentation. I learned a some things from that. Time well spent on both subjects

My recommendation for any Roundtable Commissioner is to ensure that you deliver what you have promised for the Roundtable meeting. In the past, I stopped attending RT's because they were never prepared and it turned out to be a waste of time. The reason I come to Roundtable is for any of the following: Event information, updated program information, pick up supplies/materials, or share ideas (roundtable concept).

Finally, make sure the "corporal's guard of attendees" are welcoming to new faces and new attendees.

I have to say I think we have had the best CSRTs in th area if not the nation. Always well prepared, it is run like a Pack meeting. Participation. Cheers, songs, and serious discussion. You earn a bead for attending. Cookies and juice, and carrot sticks and dip.. A detailed handout of 3 hole punched stuff ("BALLOO's Bugle" often.). Video presentations, pass around and look at stuff, invited special guests for particular topics. Sometimes the "official" monthly theme (the month before), sometimes not, booklets and gear available to buy (don't need to go to the Scoutstore). Special topics have included astronomy (Beltloop and Meritbadge!), cooking (samples out on the parkinglot camp stove), PWDerby, Scales and Tails (get it for your unit!).

And the last month saw the retirement of our CSRTCommisher. He set a high standard to meet, and deserved the special accolades and "squareknot" he was given.

Our round table meetings are terrible! They usually start out ok and then they turn into a gossip or talk session and nothing gets done. I love to talk but I can do that at home and to spend an hour and a half talking about stuff that has nothing to do with scouts is a waste of my time. I think our problem right now is our District Chair, who only has a few months left in the position. He has been in scouting for years and change is NOT in his vocabulary so any ideas anyone ever had in the past were immediately shopt down so people stopped coming and the ones that do come, come to hang out and socialize.

I went to a meeting in another district because we meet together once during the summer and wow, what a difference!! It was definitely a little corny but it was fun and it was standing room only! They give out awards for participation, they have recipe contests....with the food there to sample and they were just very interested in being there, questions or ideas were discussed and I feel like that is what our district needs.

We are getting a new chair, hopefully the one the nominating committee approached. If he takes over, I think things will definitely get better and more people will start attending meetings.

Can I ask what topics you will be covering at your meetings? I would love to help out more with the district once help is welcomed!!

August--- Methods of a successful popcorn sale

So far, that will include presentations by the Cubmaster and son team that sold $4400 in popcorn, best in the counsel.

Also a presentation on managing Scout accounts and using Scout accounts to motivate boys and families to sell popcorn.

I'm shopping for local Xperts to talk about some of the business and organizational aspects of the popcorn sale.

September --- Model fall recruiting night featuring an ice cream social and Raingutter regatta race where adults will build easy to make model boats and race them.

October ---- Recruiting new leaders and secrets of efficient rechartering.

February --- spring model recruiting night, featuring some high energy activity (like the raingutter regatta or stomp bottle rocket launch) and with Scouts invited to help show how that works.

Parents and Scouts invited to atytend and do the activity.

June --- Pack annual planning methods and summer outings.

Still have a few holes to plug ---- please suggest your ideas!

These CS Roundtable programs last no more than an hour, and we have skilled and experienced leaders making presentations.

Our aim is to educate leaders in units that don't have everything figured out already, and to give leaders from units that do some additional ideas.

Our RTs are pretty bad. In fact, when a few of us went to this past August's RT we joked that they demonstrated how *not* to run a Pack event...killing time with announcements from multiple people at the start of the meeting, with nearly each one failing to keep his/her announcement brief (picture reading right from the handout)...next to no preparation for the breakout sessions (on more than one occasion I've heard the person heading up the session comment about not knowing he/she was doing so until that night).

The topics they promote are promising, but the delivery fails to live up to expectations. Now I make an effort to get down to the key meetings only for information purposes (Aug. for recruiting stuff, Sep. for popcorn stuff, Jan. for recharter, Mar. for day camp).

I like the Pack planning/recruiting topics you have planned. My suggestion is to fill in the holes with some Pack programming topics, for example:

1. How does your Pack plan/execute a Pinewood Derby? It could be very interesting to hear from representatives from large-, medium- and small-sized Packs about how each one does it. If possible have some track and timers on-hand to display.

2. Ideas/suggestions for nearby scout tours as Pack or Den meetings. In my opinion tours are fantastic for keeping the Den program varied and interesting, but the key is knowing what's available and who to contact. If possible compile a short list of tours in advance to stimulate the discussion, with the intent of adding to it that night. Relevant details for each tour include location, contact info, available tour times, cost, and advancements earned by the tour.

3. How does your Pack plan/execute a Family Campout? So we all have BALOO training, but how does each of our Packs camp? Where do you go, how much do you charge, what fun stuff do you plan, what do you eat, etc.?

For each of these topics be prepared to guide the discussion, but promote real group feedback. It can be a great way for all involved to hear about what has and hasn't worked for other groups.

Our Roundtables are pretty good. They are done from the book, but our RTCommish does a good job of adding in extra "stuff" that applies to the monthly theme. While I have been satisfied overall, I do like SP's idea of tailoring meetings to local CS issues. I think overall that would be more valuable. Say, give everyone the monthly program handout and very briefly go over it, then move on to something else, like leader recruitment, etc.

I am glad we aren't the only one with this problem. We had our round table last night and this is how bad it's gotten! The district chair was there, no commissioner, not district trainer, camping chair, FOS chair so no agenda! I told the district chair, who is also my COR, our round tables suck and we need to spice them up and make them fun and if the district people running the show can't make it, they need to be voted out and someone interested put into place. I am to CC for my pack and the district membership and SNFS chair and our pack is hosting the spring district cub family camp so I can't do too much but I am always willing to help. He actually agreed with me....that is a first so I think our next meeting with him will be very different.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, I made some notes so lets see how far I can get with these ideas!!

MOST districts are struggling to find the volunteers they need to organize the activities districts should be providing for units, such as good Roundtable programs which require skilled and experienced leaders to organize.

Frankly, I give your district chair credit. He was there and he recognized the opportunity to attract a likely volunteer to help lead the Roundtable next month....

• 3 weeks later...

Our Pack leadership attends often. It's REALLY hit or miss though. Many are just cheerleading sessions. We have told our District repeatedly "We don't lack enthusiam, WE NEED HELP!" The issues with roundtable that I have are:

- Not enough focus on key issues for leadership; Recruiting, Fundraising, Retention, Parental Involvement.

- Too much folklore. Many things said in Roundtable simply aren't true. It's too much "Here's how we've always done it" and not enough "Here's official BSA Policy".

- Too many Roundtable leaders reliving their childhood instead of focusing on the scouts

Roundtable COULD be a really useful resource. Usually it is not.

Our RT's are pretty cool.

We start out with Cubs and Boys together, then after basic announcements, we do breakaway into out seperate groups...if it is needed,

There are dulls ones: popcorn is the first to come to mind, but necessary.

One cool thing is that our Commisioner and our DE ask us at the last RT of the year: What topics do you want covered next year. We write them down and discuss them.

One cool thing we did just before Spring camping was that the DE brought in a pediatrician who discussed toipcs along child CPR, shock, ADD ADHD, meds and such.

THis ended up being a great and informative meeting. Lots of common "wives tales" and myths about kids behaviors and whatnot were detroyed!

Just before PWD, we don't talk so much about racing, as we do about rules for district and preventing misunderstandings and making sure things go smoothly. Sure, each pack can do their own thing....but then you end up facing a new challenge at district PWD.

The best RT's are based on not only asking for feedback from the units...but working with it too!