What makes a good Webelos Program?

my den meet 2 times a month and several times we would have a special weekend activity. we started with summer camp after Bears as Webelos. During the summer we met once a month for a few hours during the day (I didn't work during the summer) and we did everything we possibly could outside.

I offered 18 pins - some where done with programs with area conservation programs. We also included doing some service work for those programs. Family member they did at home and turned into me. Aquanaut they did at summer camp or worked on their own and turned into me.

The pins required for Webelos badge and AOL we did during the school year where they were less likely to miss and made sure parents know that was the pin we were working on so they would make sure they would be there.

I had parents with different skills help with different pins or an activity from the pin. I had 1 dad do the engineer pin. I had 1 mom that brought her sewing maching and I brought mine and the boys made stuff bags as one of their crafts without wood - they actually enjoyed it though I think the key was that it was something they could use with camping.

the only thing I would do different is that I would arrange visits to more troops - we only went out with the troop in our town (we only have 1) and that was where we all went, but later had to go through a process to move to a different troop.

at the end all 3 of my scouts earned their webelos and AOL... 2 boys earned all 20 pins... and all 3 had a blast and are still involved in boy scouts - 1 is at life, 1 is at star, and 1 is 1st class (but close to star)