Camp Out Snack

We are having a family camp in late May. We have stations for the boys. One of those is "snack". It needs to be something that can be made and eaten within 30 minutes. In the past we have done cooking a biscuit over coals.

Need ideas!!

One I drag out when I do BALOO for the council goes over good anywhere.

Mini Pie Tarts

Basic card board box oven or dutch oven, roll of Cresent dough (rolls out in triangles but you could use biscuits too), spoon full or 2 of pie filling, fold up, a pat of butter, pinch of brown sugar, ~5-8 minutes.

More complicated but fun

Camp Twinkies - ~15 minutes

standard walking stick - foil 6" at end and include end, light spray of Pam, wrap biscuit around foil and cover the end. roast till done, slide off and fill with whip cream.

Make a trail mix

Have each family bring an ingrediant and then gather them all up and keep them at the station. When each group comes through, have them add ingrediants to the bucket and then roll it around and let it mix. Give them all a baggie and scoop out the mix.

You can get creative you you ingredients also.

Do you have pie irons? We borrow them from the troop. You can make sandwiches like ham and cheese or grilled cheese; pizza pockets with sauce, pepperoni and cheese; or mini pies with pie filling. Use cheap white bread and butter on the outside for all of these, or cheap whole wheat bread. The good bread really doesn't seem to toast as well, no matter how much I want it too!

Another campfire snack idea is a peeled apple on a stick. Roast it like a hot dog, then roll the hot cooked apple in cinnamon sugar.

A great snack for hot days is homemade ice cream. There are all sorts of recipes and instructions on the internet for individual servings.

Ahh, the joys of a roasted twinkie are not lost on those of us that should not eat them.

It's cheap, keeps them occupied, lets them put a "stick in the fire", and whip cream makes burnt biscuit taste good......But, you also have to sing the Twinkie song.... it's a rule.

Tune: Do, Re, Mi

Dough the stuff that makes twinkies,

Ray the guy who makes the twinkies,

Me the Scout who eats Ray's twinkies,

Fa a far long way to twinkie,

So I think I'll have a twinkie,

La la la la la la twinkie,

Tea no thanks I'll have a twinkie,

And that brings us back to dough twinkie twinkie twinkie dough.