Raingutter Regatta - "Trimaran" kit

Got notice of a new raingutter kit, a trimaran:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=NEW&c3=&c4=&lv=2&item=612513&SRC=ET&ET_CID=ET_trimiran_03012011&Page=online&ET_RID={6b7fc908-a77f-4ca7-8c34-2a7db5b46b60}

The online specs say not to be raced in the same class as regular regatta boats but I haven't seen the box to see if this is printed on it. I can see this being an issue if some boys show up having built this kit that says "Raingutter Regatta" on the box though.

Another example of Supply Division selling stuff when they should be supporting the programs. Yeah, this could be a problem and packs need to get out in front of it. Better make this very clear upfront.

When I was CM one year we had a Scout (dad) who had the idea of cutting the mast and sail into thirds to make a clipper ship. The lower profile was much more stable and the kid smoked everyone.

The next year we made that illegal, but a Scout (dad) came up with the idea of splitting the standard hull in half and making a catamaran. The added stability plus the standard height mast was even faster.

Finally, we declared the event to be a "one-design" regatta, meaning all boats would be identical. Paint them, decorate them, spiff them up any way you like, but the racing form of the boat should be as out of the box.

There is a bit of skill involved in sailing a Raingutter, and we wanted the race to be about that, not's whose dad could figure out how to game the system. But more importantly, we didn't want to get into another Pinewood Derby competition where the focus was on building a fast car, not having fun with it.

I haven't raced in the Raingutter Regatta but, as a former Sea Scout, I can tell you that "one-design" is the way to go here: multi-hulled boats have an advantage over mono-hulls every time. I don't know how many know of the 1988 America's Cup but that's a wonderful example of the mismatch (if a bit extreme).

If you have Scouts who really want to race the trimarans (it's about the kids, right?), run two different races. Otherwise, you'll be opening a can of worms.

This is why I normally race one designs, it is a true test of the skill of the skipper/crew. I have been racing (quite successfully) for 6 or 7 years now and I can tell you that the most fun and exciting racing is in one designs. I have done lots of PHRF racing and it just isn't as satisfying to win against a boat that never even had a chance to beat you, or to 'win' even though you finish minutes behind the other boat.

If you just consider hull speed, if the normal hull is 6 inches long you get a theoretical speed of .9 knots. The tri with three times as much waterline will have a theoretical hull speed of 1.6 knots. I am not positive of the ratios between monohulls and multihulls, and those calculations don't take into account weight, or any other factors, but the tri will definitely sail faster. Add in the extra stability there is no way a monohull could compete with a trimaran in a raingutter regatta, or in any other regatta for that matter.