Pack meeting camping demo/activity ideas

I keep tossing an idea around in my head but I can't seem to get it to crystalize into something that I can make work. Maybe someone out there has done something like this.

I'd like to do a hands on camping demo for our first pack meeting of the year when we get all the new scouts in to generate a little excitement.

So I'm thinking that we could set up a number of stations--one where the boys would set up a tent, another where they would do a quick cooking something-or-other, one where they would learn a campfire song or two, another where they would build different types of fire lays, etc.

Complicating this somewhat is the fact that we meet at the school so we're limited to the ability to cook stuff or actually set things on fire...though we could change the venue I suppose.

Well anyway, I'm looking for some info and examples from anyone who might have done something like this. Thanks.

Complicating this somewhat is the fact that we meet at the school so we're limited to the ability to cook stuff or actually set things on fire

Really? Maybe this differs from school district to school district. We had our Baloo training at the Elementary school, and we had a cookfire that had the fire inspector check it over before getting permission. Had the guy brought in a raised pit, the inspector would not have come around. But this was interesting in that he put down garbage bags.Then put up cinder block sides. Then enough sand that the plastic underneath was not effected by the heat (surprisingly not as much as I would have thought.).. But since it was on the ground the inspector had to give his approval.

Anyway, I can't say that the school did or did not know about the fire (I did not run the training).. But I would think with a fire inspector involved all the other checks and balances were applied and they had the schools permission also.

This is some what similar to a Baloo training, but would provide good fun at a Pack meeting.

Make sure you have a campout planned!

We did an Outdoor Skills Day for our Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors. Three hours, six stations, 80 girls and 30 or so adults.

Tent Wrangling

Help I've fallen and I can't get up (FA)

Follow the Red Arrow (Map and Compass)

Knots and Knives

Fire, Fire, Fire (Daisies were resticted to candy campfires. Brownies built the fire and the adult lit it. Juniors built and lit fires in little hibatchis)

Dishwashing Relay with other games and songs thrown in.

They had a blast and so will your boys even if it's fewer stations and less time.

Rope making!

Our Tigers did it at their den meeting, and everyone was able to successfully make a piece of rope in about five minutes.

You will find directions many places on the internet. I took those and simplified them somewhat. On each end, instead of a special baton, they just used a stick (actually, a pencil). And to "whip" the rope when finished, we just used a piece of masking tape.

I think it'sa great idea!

One thing I would do though, as part of the demo is point out the small simple things that make a big difference like" tarps under a tent. alot of people do not know or do this;

Additional tarps for rain flys. Yeah, alot of tents come with them, but they are a joke at best.

Bring a decent size door mat to help slow down sand from getting into tents and eventually, sleeping bags.

BIG ONE: Tell campers that even if they use camp cots, they need sleeping bags as the underside of their bodies will not be insulated ( if cool/cold weather)

This type of info( I am sure you have plenty to add to it) will make a big difference to many parents and scouts who may be camping for the first time. It may be the difference between a second time or not.

I am planning on a very short cooking demo at our next pack meeting myself. But we hold the pack meetings inside the sanctuary of our CO.

To much complication to move everybody outseide fora 10 minute demo, so I am going to bring a Coleman fold-up propane cookstove.

For my demo, the source of the heat isn't really the point so much as the cooking part.

But I am completely on board with the idea of a demo during a pack meeting as you can target EVERYBODY including the parents at one time.

Besides, it changes up the same old pack meeting routine too!

I have great success having dens compete putting up self supporting tents. The first den with their tent up and the boys inside with the tent zipped up is the winner!

How about fishing? Have boys toss a line tied to a stick over a curtained off area until they catch a "fish" tied on by someone behind the curtain.

We did this last spring. We also had tenst already set up and fully equipped, had them setting up tents (it's fun to just have the tent rolled up and in it's bag, tell the boys we need to come up with some shelter, let them figure out(with a little prodding) what to do, until they get it to set up the tent - and let them work together as a den to get it set up - a real challenge for them), we had them involved in cooking things outside(at the school)- hot dogs & s'mores, we included a Kim's Game with various camping and hiking pocket items at one station, and then we had another station about Camp/Outdoor Safety -Sun, Bugs, First Aid, Buddies. We rotated so each den had time at each of the stations.

I think a camping demo is a great way to get parents involved -- I would have loved this when I was a first time camping parent, trying to decide what sized tent to buy. I would have loved to have known (before I bought the 10 x 10 tent) that it can be almost impossible to find a 10 x 10 spot in the woods that is mostly level and clear of tree roots, for example.

I've certainly seen scouts who missed camping trips because their parents had no guidance on what to pack for the trip. So an event such as you are thinking of could be a big plus, IMO.