CM as a Tiger DL coach?

After the round up, we have our first Tiger meeting. This year I organized my Bears ahead of time and had them "plan the meeting" using games they liked and they helped teach the Tigers the Bobcat info. This gave the CM time to sit down with the parents and discuss what Tigers did and what the position of TCDL held. The Tigers got to experience a meeting with experienced kids and leaders and the parents got to see what goes on.

Once we had a volunteer, the CM would go and help with a meeting or 2 to get them up and going. The biggest problem we've had is the other parents that just want to stay on the sidelines.

I found using the Bears is a great way for the Tigers to meet some of the older kids as well as having the older boys complete a requirement or 2 for their own advancement.

Scoutfish, I think this is a great idea as long as you are respectful of their role, which it appears you are.

When I became a Tiger Leader, I was told "just follow the book," except for the part about getting parents involved in running things because "that doesn't work." Needless to say that didn't work well and in hindsight I would have loved to have a coach with ideas for how to get things done and be fun.

Now that I am CM and with DL experience behind me I have lots of ideas for activities and "what works" and I let the TDL know I'm available. Sometimes they take the help, sometimes not. The key is to be available without being cloying.

I think the first "5 or 6" meetings as you describe might be a bit much except for the fact that you meet in the same location and have a plausible reason to be there already. The problem you need to avoid is the DL and Den looking to you as the "high ranking officer."

In our case where everyone meets separately I offer to run the first tiger meeting. There, I set up a signup sheet for the various activities in the book and have parents sign up for one or more. Then I ask for a "coordinator" (sounds less forbidding than "leader") to keep the meetings running and work with the pack throughout the year to keep the den on track, but I don't revisit the den meetings (unless asked or if there is a problem). So far, so good.(This message has been edited by 83eagle)