What would you do with this CC?

I am taking over as CM for a pack that has a committee in name only. We have just the minimal number of committee members to keep us chartered.

I know the CC is supposed to be an important part of the Pack organization, but in this case. Well, the CC has been CC for as long as anyone can tell...at least 20 years. The committee never meets so it's pretty much a committee in name only. The COR is invisible, no idea who it is.

As a matter of fact, the CC thinks that the position is "Unit Commissioner" and has a UC patch on the uniform, although of course we have an actual unit commissioner who is not this person. So, it's a strange and disfunctional...well, nonfunctional...operation.

My question is, would you try to fix this or leave sleeping dogs lie? The CC being "hands off" means that we leaders are given the autonomy (and budget authority) to operate in the best interest of the boys. Pressing the CC to get involved could have unintended consequences...

Yeah, I know I'm not getting the support I'm supposed to have as CM but that doesn't bother me. It's just bugging me because it doesn't seem "right."

My first year in the pack we had a one-man-show with a CM and pretty much the same CC you describe. The CM moved on and one of the DLs I had done a lot of work with stepped up to CM. He asked me to take over as CC.

With the politics of the situation, we decided I would be Asst. Cubmaster for Administration which was rather surprisingly very similar to the job description for CC.

We ran this ruse for about six months with me acting as CC. We never really saw the old CC much. At recharter we changed the registrations officially and kept on chugging.

Maybe a little passive-aggressive, but it got us where we needed to be without the drama of asking the CC to step down.

>>We ran this ruse for about six months with me acting as CC. We never really saw the old CC much. At recharter we changed the registrations officially and kept on chugging.

This thought has crossed my mind...however, doesn't the on-record CC and the COR have to sign off on the adult leader paperwork?

1) Call your DE. Ask who the Institutional Head and COR are on the Charter.

2) Call the IH. Ask for a business meeting with him, the COR, and the CC.

3) Form your own vision and goals for the Pack. Make sure they align with the values of the Chartered Partner, be it church or service group.

4) At the meeting, have the responsibilities of the Committee available (they're online at scouting.org). Ask for active support from your committee doing the things they are supposed to do (money management, advancement support, transportation support, publicity, and such).

5) If you get "deer in the headlights" or worse, "it's your job" ... punch out. Direct contact leaders are great and good people, and their Scouting lives are busy enough with their basic duties.

Remember, all the moving parts work together for only one reason: The youth. In fact, I'd work that into your pitch...

Good hunting

totally concur with John's suggestion....it is the perfect way to address the issue while educating the IH, mobilizing the COR and putting the CC in a position where they are accountable.....

most likely, the CC is a long-time victim of leaders who put him in the background, or not....

I think I'd start by talking to the CC and seeing how he wants to handle it.

You can get your real volunteers and have them do whatever jobs you want them to do, and whether you call them a committee or assistant Cubmasters, they can do the same work. The guy gives you no benefit from what he does now, but you'll have to decide how you want to spend your energy.

If the CC is happy to hand it off to someone who wants to do the job, then fine, have him do that. But if he likes things the way they are, I think I'd just let sleeping dogs lie.