Wolf requirement 11d

I had a parent come to me with this issue. Her son is in my wolf den. He is active in scouting and excited to earn his wolf rank. His mother has a problem with the wolf requirement 11d which to find out how to help the church, etc. They are Christian, but do not believe in organized religion and do not attend church. I'm not sure why, but didn't want to press since she didn't give details other then they believe in God, and is raising her son following Christian values. They just do not go to church. She wanted to know if and how he can fulfill the requirement. I told her I would think about it and get back to her. I'm leaning toward having her, as the boy's Akela, discuss ways to help them worship in their own way and signing off on the requirement. This would be much like if the family followed a different religion. Any other suggestions out there?

Also, how will this affect him in scouting in later years. I know Eagle is many year a way, but don't they still have the required reference from a religious leader? He's a great kid and the mother is always helping out at meetings and activities. I hate to lose them over religious practices.

Don't read too much into it! We don't touch the religious requirements for each rank in our pack. Those are to be worked on at home as the parents/guardians see fit. If the family handles religion at home, then that is where requirement 11d occurs. We're Buddhist, and where we currently live there isn't a temple for 200 miles in our particular sect. We had no trouble though having our son help tend the home shrine for a couple weeks to meet the requirement.

It wouldn't effect Eagle. Depending on how it's handled in your neck of the woods, he may be advised to get a religious reference from a family member or supply other references. I've seen it handled both ways for Eagle candidates and I am sure there are other ways. It doesn't have to be clergy, just someone that vouches for the scout's reverence (but don't quote me on that!) There are plenty of non-church going Eagle scouts out there!

The requirement is - Find out how you can help your church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or religious fellowship.

Tell her that they should concentrate on helping their "religious fellowship". Since they have no church, that would be their family, community, or generally, their fellow man.

The requirement does not state help worship, just help. An act of service would complete this requirement.

"Reverence to God and reverence for one's neighbour and reverence for oneself as a servant of God, is the basis of every form of religion. The method of expression of reverence to God varies with every sect and denomination. What sect or denomination a boy belongs to depends, as a rule, on his parents' wishes. It is they who decide. It is our business to respect their wishes and to second their efforts to inculcate reverence, whatever form of religion the boy professes."

==Robert Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership