Completely Confused about Cub Scout Cabin Camping

Thanks for all the replies. I was hesitant to impose a cutoff because the scouting program always tries to accomodate everybody, but the reality is that if you're in a building there's only so much you can do, and we planned the building based on the interest that was expressed. It's simply not like tent camping where you can usually accomodate another tent. But even with tent camping, you have deadlines and cutoffs. It is what it is.

Regarding separation and the rest. My theory is that the guidlines are "best practices" that are designed to protect the boys, the BSA and, last but certainly not least, YOU. If something does go wrong, unlikely as that might be, I always want to be able to say that I followed the rules.

But even with that said, there is a range of interpreation and an even wider range of practices that can satisfy those requirements. So as long as we have a BALOO trained leader (we do), our leaders are YP trained and trained for their position (they are), and we "do our best" to work with the guidelines in mind, I have some peace of mind.

Unfortunately in today's society it's easy to get bent out of shape about these things, and the fact that I have crammed in a lot of BSA training that gets jumbled in my head from time to time does not help the matter.

Lastly, and most important, the leaders and the pack are enthused and excited about our first-ever winter camping trip. That tells me we are going to have a great time and might even be dealing with bigger problems related to attendance/facilities next year--but that is a good problem to have.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic