WEll, to be honest, I do not know if there are things my pack has done differently than yours or if it's some national rule or guideline my pack followed, but it was like this for me:

To be an ADL, FIRST, the DL had to approve the need or accept the fact that I wanted to be his ADL.He was the first step. He had to see if the chemestry was gonna be there. Being that I was a very active parent, he almost did a backflip when I asked.

AFTER that was agreed upon, I had to put in an adult leadership application. You know, the one that you sign off on saying you will abide by all the rules nad regs and try to follow the program as well as the spirit of the laws.....Yep, YP is in all of that.

Then if BSA aproves my application, the committe, CO and CM/ ACM approve me to hold position of ADL.( could be I get approval, then submit application! :) )

Now, even though there may not be a certain, official laid out step for ADL placement...it would be sooooooo easy for any of the previous people to say ( especially the CM) "WE have to make sure the best person is doing the best they can to serve the pack and keep the welfare of the pack and scouts at the front of their duties!"

Yes, this would mean taking YP as well as a slew of other classes that can be taken online too. Then, if time permits, have him take Leader Specific before it is online only too. ( I mean, on line is...ok, but in person with a live instructor is just better!)

If the young man doesn't want to take the classes, tell him that it shows that he really isn't serious about the position, nor does he place the welfare of the kids and pack at the front of his duties to the pack...therefore, you'll have to pass him over in favor of another person who does care.

Not saying you have to be mean or nasty about it..reword it your own way.....but the point is the same.

Good Luck! I used to be a very hard headed 20 year oild myself.

Actually, I'm stil hardheaded, just alot nicer about it! And I do try toi see other's point of view! :)

• 1 month later...

Pertaining training - While it may or may not be a National thing, Council thing or whatever, our Pack Committee decided to be pro-active and require all leaders (including Assistants) to be fully 'Trained' (in the BSA sense). We figured that this requirement was on the horizon anyway, so why not get a head start and implement it now. In your case, if your Committee were to decide the same thing, then it would not seem as if you were singling out your assistant in any way - everyone, him included, would be required to take all trainings. If that becomes the case, then your Pack Trainer would be taking the lead in 'getting on his case' about the training. This would accomplish what you want, yet still preserve a positive working relationship between the two of you that your 'nagging' might harm. After that, Scoutfish said it best, "if the young man doesn't want to take the classes, tell him that it shows that he really isn't serious about the position, nor does he place the welfare of the kids and pack at the front of his duties to the pack...therefore, you'll have to pass him over in favor of another person who does care."

As to the mom - no comment since others have given great advice.

moot point re YPT

Effective June 1, 2010

Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, regardless of their position.

New leaders are required to take Youth Protection training before submitting an application for registration. The certificate of completion for this training must be submitted at the time the application is made and before volunteer service with youth begins.

Youth Protection training must be taken every two years. If a volunteers Youth Protection training record is not current at the time of recharter, the volunteer will not be reregistered.

source: BSA - http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx