I don't think this should even be a question, but I'll ask anyway. :)

Our Pack has a Tiger Den 1, Wolf Den 1, Bear Den 1 and Webelos Den 1 (2, 3, etc if there are multiple dens in a level).

There should only be one Den 1 in the Pack, correct?

Yes, typically a Pack will not duplicate den numbers across levels as you suggest. Is is a rule or requirement? No, but it's convenient to avoid confusion, which is why it's done that way.

Also, when done that way, a new tiger den might be den 4 or den 3 and not necessarily den 1 since '1' and '2' may already be used for older boys. As a den ages out or stops using a den number, its number gets used by a new incoming den. This is about the only thing that I've seen people question with regard to den numbers...might be why your group does it the way it does.

FWIW...in my son's old pack, we never used den numbers at all, since we always had 1 den per grade. All the boys came from a small, private school and we never had more than one den per grade. In our case, it was just the Tigers, Wolves, Bears, and whatever the 2 Webelos dens called themselves.

Anna

yep each den gets its own number, but my pack too does it that way. they are a new pack so I blame it on training when they got started. Bad thing is I'm one of the trainers now, and I cannot get them to change 'tradition" Considering I got bigger fish to fry, ie CSDC, I'm bnot too concerend.

I think if dens were to combine, the combined den would be 1 (if there were only one remaining den for that rank).

I'm not sure how long our pack has functioned this way, but the current cubmaster doesn't want to change. He's stepping down and I'll be committee chair next program year so we'll make the change. Our current system is illogical in my mind.

I may be wrong here, but I think that technically Dens can be numbered however the Cubmaster deems fit. They can be numbered as you say (although that can be confusing) I know Packs that maintain Den numbers with rank (ie, Tiger Dens are always 1, 2, 3 Wolves are 4, 5, 6, etc) Or like ours, they keep their Den number until they select a "Patrol" Den name as Webelos.

It is basically however you want to do it.

We also have only 1 den per grade. However, we also have den numbers because the boys want a den number on their shirt, and many have den yells that revolve around their number vs their level.

What we do is have den #1-5. Whatever number the outgoing 5th graders are gets recycled back to the incoming 1st grade Tigers.

Our Pack uses individual den numbers per den and those numbers follow the boys until they cross over and the den disbands. Then the number is up for grabs.

I think this is the least confusing method and helps to build a den identity.

The year my Webelos son crossed over his brother was about to come in as a Tiger. Im kinda sentimental so I appropriated new Scout sons now no longer needed Webelos den number and used it for his brothers Tiger Den (of which I am the Den Leader). The number was 8, by the way.

YIS

Mike

• 2 months later...

Is it only at the Webelos level that the kids choose a name to refer to themselves instead of a number? Ie., Can Tigers or Bears vote on a name for themselves that will follow them up the ranks (with the appropriate patch), or is this solely a Webelos thing?

With thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Yep. At least in my expereince every one is either Den 1, den 8, etc or Wolf Den 1, Tiger den 2, etc EXCEPT for the Webelos. they are the only Cubs that can use Den names. part of that is to prep them for BS.

For what it's worth, I think that letting the Scouts in the Den develop their own identity is a great civics and character building lesson, so we always let them (encourage them) to pick a name for themselves.

Tiger Sharks or Sabre Tooth Tigers is (a) lots more fun than "We're Den 10", (b) easier to bring to life on the Den Flag or Doodle they might design, and © lots more fun to work into a Den Yell.

That doesn't mean that they get a "Patrol Patch" like a Webelos Den might get when they select a Den Name. And, for what it's worth, never did anyone ask to do that or act like "since we have a name, we have a patrol"), so I don't think this messes anything up for later.

So, no reason not to . . . and can be lots of fun if they do pick a name they like (we actually once had the "Billy Bob Bears" . . . ).