My oldest son becomes a Boy Scout.

I am mixed between feeling sad that he is growing up so fast and happy that he is on his way to becoming what he wants most..>Eagle!

How did you all feel when your kids made that leap between Cubs and Boy Scouts?

How did I feel (about 3 weeks ago, when second son crossed over)?

Relieved!

. . . that I think my son is gonna dig the adventure/camping part (he told me 4 years ago after witnessing his first crossover and hearing that Boy Scouting was more challenging, etc. that "I'll stay in Cub Scouts to get that 'burning spear' [what he called the Arrow of Light], but I'm not going to join Boy Scouts, that sounds too hard".)

And also relieved in two other ways

. . . that I don't have to attend both sets of meetings and events (I'll still be Pack Trainer, to counsel those getting it done, but not on site).

. . . that after warning the Pack that more people had to step up and take on the MJOKAC ("Many Jobs Once Known As Cubmaster"), we had 3 people step up at the Banquet to serve as Cubmaster over the next three school years!

You betcha!!

When my first son crossed over, the Scoutmaster (a real cut-up) pulled over one of our former Webelos, and asked him (in front of me):

SM: "What does the Scoutmaster do?"

Scout: "He does this [sits down, twiddles thumbs], and says 'ask your Patrol Leader'".

SM: "What does the Cubmaster do?"

Scout: "He does . . . eeeevvvverything!".

Mine is crossing over Saturday. After 8 years in the pack with two boys, our time is over. I've also had to move out of state for a job with the family to follow, so we're really going to be losing touch. At our banquet, I've heard that they will be doing a little going away thing for me so I've prepared a little speech. If I can get through it.

Here it is. My friends are not all named XXXXX, Their names have been changed to protect the innocent

For all intent and purpose, I left the pack in December for my new job in Maryland, giving up my den leader duties to XXX and Assistant Cubmaster job to XXXX.

I drove back from Maryland a few weeks ago expecting total disarray when I arrived to help set up the derby track on Saturday morning. To my great dismay, I found that I have been totally replaced, as have all the rest of us. I got to the library at about 9:45 to find the track totally assembled and the races ready to go. There was nothing for me to do but stand around and drink coffee.

There was a moment of sadness when I realized that I was expendable. Just kidding. I was thrilled! My family has been part of Pack 518 for the last seven years when my son XXX joined as a Tiger Cub. XXX is now crossing over to Boy Scouts and our time is done.

One of our big worries was what would happen to our Pack after all of us left. We took on a big effort to find new parents and leaders to carry on our pack when were gone.

As I walked into the library, I realized that we accomplished our goal. The big event of the year went off without a hitch. In fact, I think it was the smoothest Derby our Pack has ever held. Thanks to all who had a part in running it. The Scouts did a great job on their cars and the leaders and parents stepped in and made a busy and sometimes stressful day flawless.

Now, as we prepare to take our leave from the Pack, I am grateful to all of you for making this last year a great one and leaving me and my family safe in the knowledge that the Pack that we had a small part in building and participating in over the years is in good hands and well fit for the future.

Ive been involved in a number of different ventures over my life and I can say with great confidence that Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts is clearly the best organization. In an increasingly feminized anti-male culture, the concept of manhood is under increasing attack. Scouts is responsible in a great way for countering that trend.

Even in the small stuff. Our games, which all have winners and losers teaches our boys how to become young men, where life presents challenges and we dont all win first place. Younger siblings and young ladies lining up first for snacks is another example.

Scouts teaches independence and self reliance. A few weeks ago, my boys heard that there was a storm coming, so they set up their tent and slept out in the backyard, waking up to six inches of fresh snow. Thats the independence I love to see and part of what scouting is all about.

Tonight, we are honoring all of our scouts as they earn their rank that they have worked hard to accomplish. We are also saying goodbye to five Webelos scouts as they cross the bridge from Cub Scouting and into the adventure of Boy Scouts. We will also say thanks to five sets of parents who have all been and some will remain part of our pack. We met you as other scout families, but we move on as friends.

Mom2Scout06 ... wait until you replace his troop neckerchief with an Eagle neckerchief! Wait until you realize that your son is heading off to college. Wait until you realize that he is no longer a little Tiger cub that you wished would grow up and out of being playful!

Congrats!

When my son went from Orange to Yellow, I about lost my mind. Was that really my grown up little 7 year old?! When he went from Yellow to Blue I was convinced he was growing up too fast. When he went from Blue to Plaid, I was proud. Now, here comes Plaid to Black/Red and it looks like he's grown 3 feet more when he tries on the new necker!

My son crossed a year ago. My wife was the den leader and I was the receiving Scoutmaster. He had been in the same den with is friends mostly since Tigers. Proud was an understatement. The year before he crossed, I took over a struggling den and pledged to see them through to Boy Scouts. All but one who lives across town crossed to my troop. I was as proud of them as I was my own son. It was again a challenge to run (out of sight) from one side of the stage where the Webelos were receiving their AOL to the opposite end of the bridge to receive these scouts into the troop. Because of this I have never crossed the bridge, like all the other parents have.

Watching my son grow with the troop has been an even more dramatic transition of which I am extremely proud. This is happening as he is physically changing as well. His waist has dropped 2" and his height has gone up 4". His voice has changed, and he is now a patrol leader in a young troop. Though I have mentored him, I am always surprised that he is making decisions without me (as a father or scoutmaster) and they are well thought out choices for himself, his patrol and his troop. Last night in the car, he asked me if it would be appropriate for his patrol to work on a merit badge together (Astronomy). I said that that was up to he and his patrol and he then thoughtfully asked about taking his patrol to the planetarium (he did not know it but the professor who runs it at the college was a part of our troop). He then suggested that it would be neat to invite a Webelos den to accompany his patrol when they went.

It is one thing to be proud when a "forced transition," like crossover, takes place; it is another whole level when he grows into a young man and exceeds your expecations for him.

Sit back and enjoy the ride!