How Bad is this Bad Idea?

Scoutfish, I am new to scouting, my son is a wolf and I stayed out of his first year as a Tiger so it would be a father son activity and I was slowly sucked in this year first as a den leader and then as CC and I love it. I read something about rules and what the pack can and cannot do just about everyday but I am far from knowing even half of it but I completely agree with you. I am sure every pack has the problem on wanting to follow some of the rules and ignore others just because they don't agree with them and I agree this sets a bad example for the boys. When it comes to safety, I am 100% behind whatever BSA policy is because I have a son to think about. This isn't about putting a hole in a rented canoe and having to pay for it, this is putting at risk a families most precious thing in their life and before I would let it happen, I would step on toes and make as much noise as I could to keep these boys safe and teach them rules are there for a reason!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You put your kids in Scouting to become "good" people, what kind oflesson do they learn when the "grown ups" manipulate the rules...

You gave them a chance to do things the honest way, escalate to the Charter Rep, if nothing comes of it look for another unit.

My son's den is thinking of a summer canoeing event of a slightly different sort, and I wanted to get people's feedback. We have a 34' inground pool at our house and a 17' canoe. The plan was to tie the canoe (bow and stern) in the middle of the pool so the kids could paddle like crazy but not go anywhere - a controlled way to learn the strokes, get used to the movements while wearing a pfd, etc. The kids would never be further than 6' from one of the sides of the pool.

Does this type of event contravene BSA policy on canoeing? My son's group just graduated up to Webelos, by the way, and I am aware that canoeing is not yet on their level on the chart. However, does doing the activity in a pool make a difference?

Your idea for pool paddling doesn't sound too bad.

I'm not sure they'll learn much about the effects of J-stroke, a pry, bow-rudder or a draw if the tail of the boat is tied up; but it still sounds like a fun way to learn balance and brace.

You might think about having the boys in the canoe wear helments. Bopping their head on the side of the pool while falling out would definitely hurt.

I'll now leave you to the mercy of the rules police who will berate you about Safety Afloat training and the proper ratio of lifeeguards...