Recruiting observations of a "new" Cub parent

I always love to hear feedback from new parents.

I just wanted to make a comment regarding popcorn selling. We have 12 new boys, 6 sold popcorn. Out of the other 6, 3 joined kind of late in popcorn selling and just didn't do it.

Out of our 20 returning boys, only 2 didn't sell.

The timing is bad, however, I would not want those boys to miss out on the benefits of selling! They get prizes and recognition. We also offer incentives to the parents in not having to pay dues.

The way we did it this year...first we rally uped the boys. Got them all excited about prizes and selling. Then the boys and the den leaders went outside to do water rocket shooting. I stayed with the parents to give them the new year talk, and welcome new parents. What I say about popcorn is that this is our ONLY fundraiser. That i know it's hitting everyone right at the beginning of the school year, but that if we just dive in and do it, we don't have to do any other fundraisers and then I give them a list of everything that will be paid for by doing the fundraising.

I'm so pleased with the participation this year. I keep staring at the #'s and it just blows my mind how much these little kids can sell. :)

• 2 weeks later...

JM, I completely understand you on the popcorn issue!

My take on it this: I just signed my son up, just filled out the paperwork and handed over money. The first thing I got was a box of popcorn and the literature for popcorn sales.

I didn't know what den my son was going to be in, who his leader was going to be, what nights we were supposed to meet.

But I sure knew what popcorn to sell.

^The issue I have is not selling popcorn...but, WHEN, it needs to be sold. Why not wait a month?

As mentioned before school just started, vaction just ended, and everything is just a whirlwind of activity and information right now. Lets wait a month, get settled in, learn or roles and feel comfortable with wht we have and what we are doing.

Due to the sudden unexpectedness of it, I sold 3 individual units of popcorn. Just talking with friends..If it happened a month later, I could have sold over $200.00 worth with half the effort.

Now, as a somewhat experienced scout parent, it's no big deal anymore, but as a new parent, it blew me away and was the very first bad impression I got. For others, it WAS the deal breaker!