sticky situation

"doesn't feel the need to help out if it's not her weekend with her son."

I'm not trying to be cynical here, but that statement says it all to me.

Any and all parental involvement is welcome, but as an assitant, the priority needs to be more for the Troop/ Pack/ Den than for an individual child.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

CM approached the assistant last night and asked if she had time for this and explained he has someone in mind to help us out. (additional not replace)

Maybe things weren't worded right, I don't know I wasn't there, but the result was her getting upset and pulling her son out of the meeting. Definitely not the result any of us wanted.

Many Hats, It happens sometimes. What could you do differently? Who knows.

I only know to put it into perspective this way:

About 10 years ago, the wife and I went on a family (her family) vacation that consisted of driving 3 states away. We were visiting her mom's family.

We consisted of 4 families (mine, 2 different sister in laws' families, and the parents) that stayed in 2 different cabins ( 2 families per cabin)at a state park (great prices by the way!)

The oldest sister to my wife wanted to know who was gonna watch her kids , and at what time.

My wife looked at her and asked: Why do you think we are supposed to watch your kids?"

My sister inlaw looked at us with such horror and amazement and asked my wife ( I am soooo not making this up!) "WHY DID YOU COME THEN?"

So my point is this: If a person actualy thought that other people would take vacation time from work, spend hundreds of dollars on gas, food, lodging and meals, and drive 3 states away - just to watch her kids while she "vacationed" - what could I or anybody else ever say to make her understand?

If you are in that state of mind to start with...then there is nothing anybody can ever say to convince or educate her otherwise!

So the mom left the meeting and probably the troop/ pack. I hate that it happened, but again, if she's in the state of mind that it's all about, and only about her son, then there will be nothing you can ever say or do to show her other wise.

But in the big picture, you now will have assitants who will spend time with all the kids equally, and not just when "their" kid needs it.

Again, I hate if for that scout, but it's for the best of the greater good of the pack/troop!(This message has been edited by scoutfish)(This message has been edited by scoutfish)