Do you need to be BALOO trained to do whitling chip training ??

I bet if you ASK where is this written, you will get the "deer-in-the-headlight" look, before they stammer, "that's what I heard". Because it's NOT written.

BALOO is Basic Outdoor Leadership Outdoor Experience training for overnight Cub camping... I have been the course director in my council for 3-4 years and trust me it's not in the syllabus.

Good info here.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/award-434.asp

That's not anything I've ever heard. I am BALOO trained, but that didn't come up. The purpose of BALOO training is to prepare leaders to run pack overnighters.

I'd ask whoever told you this to supply a source and not spend any more time thinking about it.

gotta chuckle out of that. It is amazing what people come up with.

Had a ScoutMaster tell a boy that he will never get his leave no trace award till he knows how to be quiet on a hike. The boy likes to talk and will talk your ear off. Never heard the quiet requirement.

Had a ScoutMaster tell a boy that he will never get his leave no trace award till he knows how to be quiet on a hike. The boy likes to talk and will talk your ear off. Never heard the quiet requirement.

No, but if you're an aggravated SM wanting some peace and quiet... ;)

WestCoastScouter and Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

If I can tell a brief story. A Scouting friend of mine states that Scouters must attend EDGE before they can be a district trainer. If you read the EDGE, it is required (at a minimum) to staff NYLT and Wood Badge. It would certainly help to be a district trainer (training the specifics courses) but it is not required for that level.

Similarly, you do not need to have earned a Merit Badge in your youth, to be a Merit Badge Counselor. I believe the minimum requirement is an adult application and the Merit Badge Counselor Application stating hobby, vocation or avocation, to demonstrate the experience in a Merit Badge.

So.. BALOO does not have the topic of Wood Tools or Whittling Chit. But the experience of working with pocket knives and the safety required to make sure Cubs perform safely is required. Attending BALOO and dialoguing with fellow Cub Scout leaders and seasoned staff may enhance your knowledge of safety and knife use appropriate for an 8 y/o Cubbie.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Here is what we give out at IOLS :

Whitlin Chip Curriculum

Suggestions for Scouts and Scouters instructing Cubs for Whitlin Chip.

** The watch words here are:

**Ask, Require, Watch, Practice, Correct**

****NEVER let a Cub within your sight handle a sharp implement incorrectly or unsafely. Gently correct them and ALLOW them the pride of good tool useage.****

**Bear, Webelos Cub Scouts. (see Bear achievement #19)

**Folding pocket knife use only. No sheath knives. No axe or hatchet. No saw. But their safe use can be mentioned. As a Boy Scout, Totin Chip badge will cover these other sharp implements.

**Whitlin Chip and parent permission allows a Cub Scout to carry and use a folding pocket knife in a safe manner at Cub Scout events. If the Cub willfully fails to follow safe techniques, he may be asked to give up his Whitlin Chip rights, hand over his Whitlin Chip card and his pocket knife may be taken from him. The card and knife should be given to his parents and the situation explained. The Cub may later re-earn the Whitlin chip. Explain all this to the Cub. (serious business!)

1. Tool not a toy. Respect the tool. Do not use it for that which it was not intended. Respect the edge. Cut wood, rope, paper, not metal or wire. Do not dig in the dirt. Do not cut living wood (trees, shrubs, etc.) needlessly. Its a knife, not a screwdriver or can opener. Place knife down on safe surface, or fold up and place in pocket. Keep the knife clean, oiled, and sharp. A dull edge is more dangerous than a sharp one.

2. Parts of the Knife: Show and discuss the parts: the handle, blade, back of blade, edge, face of blade, point, case, hinge, spring, hanger. Talk about the different types of steel: stainless, high carbon, alloys; how some will rust easier than others, some will take and hold a sharp edge better than others, some are harder, some are softer, some more brittle. This knowledge comes with experience, the Cub needs to know safe handling and good care.

3. Handling: IT IS SHARP. IT CAN HURT YOU OR OTHERS.

Demonstrate how to open and close the knife. Close with FLAT of hand, fingers away from the box opening. No fists. Note that some clasp knives have a lock (lock back), and show the lock catch. Close and open carefully. No one-handed leg closing! Or whip opening. These will hurt someone. Will it be you?

Passing a knife: Close it, and pass it to the other person closed. When he has hold of the knife, he will say THANK YOU. This is not just polite, it means he has a safe hold of the tool and will not drop it. DO NOT LET GO UNTIL YOU HEAR Thank You. This is a good rule for any passing of any implement. Steel workers use it in foundries. Mechanics use it in garages. Practice this. Why is it important the other person not drop the knife?

If it is an open or straight knife (like your moms kitchen knife), hold it in your hand by the blade, edge away from your palm, handle toward the recipient. He grasps the handle carefully, says thank you, and you let go. Why this method? Practice this.

Place the knife down on a safe surface. Surface is flat, not slippery or wet, dont stab the knife into something to hold it. Fold it up when not in use.

4. Sharpening: Show different stones: Dry, Oil, Show hones, steel, ceramic, etc. Demonstrate holding edge to the light to see reflection of condition. Rotate edge to see reflection of edges, etc. Oil stone. Hold blade flat to stone, raise up about 7-8 degrees. Rub lightly in a circular motion, move blade up to do the curved area too. Do other side the same. Listen for the change in sound as the blade gets sharp, the whistle. Show honing to a razor edge on diamond hone and steel. Clean debris off blade. Feel with thumb sideways.

5. Using the knife: demonstrate and help the Cubs determine the blood circle (safe circle). Even at a table. Carve away from the body. Use thumb on BACK of blade to push. Use both hands. Make sure you have a safe area to carve. Beware the soft hinge that will bend if the blade gets stuck. Work carefully and slowly. Be patient.

Give Cubs soap bars and let them make something. Go around. Help them.

5. When YOU are satisfied that the Cub has learned what you can teach them (ask, require, watch, practice, correct), fillout the W/C slip and hand it to the Cub. **Remind him: >>that he must arrange with his Scout Leader to demonstrate his new skill and they will sign the Whittlin Chip card and make the award; >>that this is a privilege he has earned, and if he is not true to this trust, the privilege can be removed; >>that it is only good for Cub Scout events and he should never take his knife to school or other places without his parents permission. Indeed, a knife in a students possession on school grounds is nowadays generally automatic grounds for suspension.

Shake his hand and wish him well.