What should be done? if anything?

"He did this with all the other scouts and parents around. Not pulled him aside but kind of loudly told him this stuff."

Praise in public, criticize in private. I am almost 55 years old...I still remember vividly each time my Father called me a humiliating, derogatory name. I remember...each and every time. Yes, I was (and am) fat. Yes, I was being a jerk...or stupid. That doesn't lessen the pain. Spankings? Sure I got them...but it's the words that I remember with explicit detail.

The point is not that it is his son and he can parent anyway he pleases.

While I might not agree with what he does, I don't have any say in what names he calls his family members IN PRIVATE. At a Pack event, around Cub Scouts, is another matter.

When we sign that adult application we are agreeing to work toward the aims and purpose of BSA.

How did his behavior, in front of Cub Scouts, other than his son, achieve any of the 10 purposes of Cub Scouting?

Thinking about this, I wonder if this is usual behavior for him. Does he often exhibit questional behavior in front of the youth? Or, was this just a one-time, isolated incident?

If this was a one-time thing, where he might just have lost it with his son's misbehaving, then while someone should have still mentioned something to him at the time, I see no need for extreme concern.

However if this is his usual behavior in front of Cub Scouts, than it does indeed deserve a good talk by the CC and/or COR.

When my husband and I heard it we both thought the same thing, however, neither of us said anything at each other until after the event was over because we were "worlds" away doing our own things with the pack.

This is not the first time he has been hard on his own kid, however, we have never heard the words "jerk" and "stupid". The guy is hard on all the kids really. Sometimes he talks to them like they are little adults. Sometimes I think, "wow! That was harsh." but usually that is because somebody touched something of his or his kids without permission and he sort of freaks out at them. Sometimes I notice the other parents kinda saying things amongst themselves but not really a major complaint, just kinda "he could've said it differently or they are just kids"

Scoutldr--I have to agree with you. I too remember ALL the hurtful things said to me as a kid, and yes I too received spankings but out of all the spankings I received I really only remember one in particular. The words though...they are still there, even if they weren't meant to hurt. But I also know that, with my own children they can make me so mad I say things to them that I really don't mean and later go back and apologize, which NEVER happened with me as a kid. I really don't know this family outside of scouts, but I know that his comments did bother me, because it was loud enough for all to hear. I'm sure if he had just said it once, it wouldn't bother me as much but he called him a jerk like 5 or 6 times in a two minute span.

I appreciate all of your replies, but I do have to agree with Scoutldr and ScoutNut and those like their replies. I don't think I will go to COR or any higher ups though because I think I can handle it on my own and let him know that I can't and will not tolerate that anymore. Stress could be the cause of his outburst. I don't know and that is no excuse but he just may not realize his comments.