If it is just you and your son alone, and not a Pack event, then no.

If your Pack is doing this as a unit activity, with you simply driving only your son, and everyone else getting there other ways, then your Pack (CC, event chair, Secretary, etc) should be the one to get the tour permit.

You need to check with your DE. While it is true that if a parent only transports their own child, you do not need specific transport information, some Councils have decided that they want Tour Permits for District/Council events. Don't ask me why...it makes no sense to me, but our council started doing so last year.

Tour permits are a confusing thing. Everyone has an opinion as to what is correct. the big thing to remember is that it HELP protect YOU ,the leadership of the pack.

My personal rule of thumb is if we leave the CO I file for a permit. It just takes a couple of minutes and your covered.

Tour permits are the most useless thing that national has. They have no bearing on anything and searve no useful purpose what so ever. Every coucil has its own rules when you need one and really do nothing with them anyway.

I have to agree with the uselessness of tour permits for Cub Scouts when they are each being driven by their own parents to a District/Council event. I constantly hear the blabber that it protects the CO, but let's come to grips. There is no court in the land that will hold a CO liable when a parent is transporting their own child.

When there is shared transportation...fine. File the permit, but I am not going to ask parents for their DL number to drive their own child. If that were truly the requirement, then I would have to file a tour permit to have them bring their kids to a Pack Meeting since no one lives at the CO....

I've never put a drivers license down for a parent transporting their own child. All that write there is "transportation by own parent" and the council has always been fine with that. I think that in their minds it covers the event...which is just silly seeing as it's already covered as a Council event.