Camping - formula for cooking/food amounts

We have a campout coming up and I will be doing the shopping and calculating of food.

I thought I remembered years ago seeing something for large groups or Girl Scouts. Something that converts people to portions and shopping lists?

If you have anything let me know. And yes I can guess, but the accountant in me is thinking there must be a more semi-precise way

thanks so much

I do not know if this is what you looking for, but there is a portiion list in the Boy Scout Book. My other suggestion would be to try and buy as much Non-Perishable food that way if you buy too much, it does not spoil.

There is no generic formula. A lot depends on weather and the level of activity on the camp out. Summer the boys don't eat as much as winter. Lets face it, they are hot and tired they will not eat as much.

It is better to have a few left overs at meals than hungry boys and parents. You can always split up the left overs to take home.

You can never have too much sausage or bacon, I figure 3 per person, with that said they will continue to eat it till it is gone, same for hot dogs and hamburgers, I figure two per person execpt tigers and smaller sibs. Generally the boys will eat them till they are gone.

Left overs are split up and sent home.

A good rule of thumb for our Troop when ~20 boys go on outings (in 2-3 patrols). $2 per Scout per meal (Friday late meal/cracker barrel & Sunday breakfast).

This usually puts them under budget if meal choices are ingredients, and not prepared reheats anyway.

I would prefer to discourage bacon..too messy..boys look clueless when the realize they have to make preparations to put the left-over grease in a metal can and haul it home on Sunday. If they do it on Saturday, they can make use of some of it.

One good formula I have found is:

Generally the serving size on the boxes/mix/can is about right on. You can always add milk/water/spag.sauce/salsa to stretch your meal.

A couple go-to items to augment a meal is a good bet (p-nut butter/jam, foil potatoes, ramen noodles, mac.cheese, pork&beans, minute rice, are cheap enough and last a long time.

I also try to throw in local fresh veggies (Corn on the cob in the husk, tomatoes, etc...)

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)