AOL - Boy Scouting requirements

We are reviewing our Webelos II cub scouts to make sure they are all ready to receive their Arrow of Light awards next month. We do our Bridging Over and AOL presentations together at our March meeting. For most of the requirements, we can easily confirm completion by the boys. One of the requirements dealing with Boy Scouting are causing us some angst for a couple of the boys.

"After you have completed all five of the above requirements, and have a talk with your Webelos den leader, arrange to visit, with your parent or guardian, a meeting of a Boy Scout troop you think you might like to join. Have a conference with the Scoutmaster."

First off, assume that all other AOL requirements have been met.

The actual visit to a troop is not the problem, even meeting with the SM isn't really the problem, it's the "you think you might like to join" that's causing us debate.

Does this mean that a Webelos who is not planning to continue in Boy Scouting does not receive the AOL? (It's ok if that's what it means, I am just surprised). A boy who does not plan to continue goes to a troop meeting (or, in our case, possibly several meetings with several troops), even meets with the SM, but for his own personal reasons decides not to continue. He doesn't receive the AOL?

So, that covers the boy who doesn't really want to continue. We have another boy who has learning/behavioral issues severe enough that Boy Scouting is probably not going to be in the cards for him. He was able to make it through Cub Scouts, with the help of Akela and the pack leadership, but isn't going to move one. Even though he visited a troop and met with the SM, he doesn't get an AOL? (Again, that's ok, I am just surprised).

Finally, we have some boys who just aren't sure. They are a little burned out after 5 years of Cub Scouting, and just aren't sure. I think they might eventually join, but they are not ready to commit to a troop yet. In this case the situation is easier because "they might like to join" the troop, at least someday. I think they're ok because they are at least open to considering a troop.

Am I ready this right?

Thanks,

Melgmatic, CM

Agreed. If they meet the requirements they get the award. I'm just not sure if you can meet the requirement of "visit...a meeting of a Boy Scout troop you think you like to join" if you have no intention of joining any troop.

That's my philosophical issue.

Thanks, Melgamatic.

Melgamatic, I understand where you are coming from but I think you are reading way too much into that phrase. "arrange to visit... a troop...you think you might like to join" is a very conditionally phrased requirement. As in, "if I were planning to continue on to boy scouting, then I think I might like to join troop A." Or "I'm not sure whether or not I want to be a boy scout, but I would at least consider Troop A, if I decided to continue in the program."

As such I think it is possible for any boy to complete this step, regardless of their current intent on joining/not joining.

It is not really up to you or the Webelos Den leader to decide that the boy will NEVER join Boy Scouts.

It is up to his parents, and even then, they might change their mind at some point in the future. YOU can not tell.

The requirement is simply to visit a Troop they THINK they MIGHT like to join.

NOT one they WILL join, not one they will/might join in the next WEEK, or MONTH, or even YEAR. IT says NOTHING AT ALL about actually JOINING any Troop.

If they visited a Boy Scout Troop, had a talk to the SM, and the parents signed off on the requirement, the Webelos has "DONE HIS BEST" (he is STILL a CUB SCOUT) and completed the requirement. That's it as far as BSA is concerned.

Don't add to the requirements.

Give them their AOL proudly.

Its up to the SM to sell his troop the requirement states also:"Have a conference with the Scoutmaster." If the boy does not understand that boy scouts is a little different than cubs so be it. Of course some troops aren't much different. Most of them get the picture when they camp with the troop and their are only two leaders apart from their parents on the trip.