Wearing of neckerchiefs in our troop is very clear cut. Our neckerchiefs are unique, resembling a pizzaria napkin (white with red/pink checks). This dates back 70 years when one of the founding members of the troop owned an Italian restaurant and provided napkins as neckerchiefs. Neckerchiefs are only awarded to scouts (and adults) once they have camped with the troop. When I first joined the troop over 3 years ago as a committee member, I did not have the chance to camp with the troop for almost 2 years, and therefore was not given a neckerchief. I finally went when my son and I went on a Webelos campout with the troop a year and a half ago (I have missed only one campout since). When my son crosses next week, he will receive a neckerchief, as will one other Webelos who camped with us. The others who are crossing over have not camped with us yet, and will not receive one until they have done so.

That is a great tradition! It something like that, I hope comes out of all this contriversy. That is exactly what the troop is missing (ceremony and tradition). Our troop has been in existance for realatively short period of time compared to yours. But, instead of termoil, I like to look at this as an oppurtunity to do something more for the scouts and scout spirit.

Thanks for telling us about that.

Norman

My son faces a different problem than anyone has addressed here. He will not be crossing over into the troop sponsored by our Pack's CO. Instead he has decided to join another troop in the district. We attended troop meetings as the announced, and one would assume planned on guests, at several local troops. Only one was receptive and seemed genuinely interested in gaining new members.

I understand the boy led method and I also understand that it is ultimately the responsibility of the boys to recruit new members. However, if the Scoutmaster makes no effort to greet the second year Webelos, or their parents for that matter, when they attend their meeting what makes them think they will gain any new members.

I think it would be great for my son to be accepted warmly into the troop of his choice by the SPL and presented with his new green loops. It is a rite of passage and I think the crossover should only be held for those remaining in the Scouting program. It should also be held at a separate ceremony than the AoL.

We use the OA chapter's ceremonies team and they perform an AOL and Crossover ceremony. We don't do this at the B & G because it is to long an evening already and we feel it detracts from the ceremony. We do these at the March Pack mtg. This gives center stage to the WEBELOS II for the entire evening.

The entire troop is present at this mtg so each new scout is greeted by all the troop. By this time the Webelos have camped with the troop twice and visited a troop mtg. The boys who choose not to join usually have left scouting prior to the ceremony. We have had a few who didn't show later but we never have denied a boy to Crossover.

We do have the adult leaders who join the troop crossover after the boys and they get their loops then too. We present our troop neckerchief when a scout makes tenderfoot. By then he has made an effort on his part and earned it. Seems they wear them with a bit of pride then too.