Canoe learning weekend

Our troop is planning a canoeing / fishing weekend at a local park. Our boys all know the basics of canoeing - but many have not had alot of experience. this will be on a flat-water pond /lake ( no beach, no swimming) but there is a boat launch and a dock. What we are aiming for is for them to learn skills in a fun way - not just aimless paddling around the lake - where they don't learn much that is useful on a river trip - like manuvering and control.

I remember a "water olympics" that my girl scout council used to do each year - things like:

*a canoe tug of war (strength and co-operation)

*an obstacle course (speed and turns and control)

*sink the counselor (put a leader in the canoe and kids with buckets sink it in the shallows -don't know if we can do this without a beach area)

* canoe relay race (passing a special paddle from canoe to canoe)

What I am looking for are some other ideas to add & offer the boys - they know the skill levels of the boys better than I do - then they can pick and plan the events and supplies they need.

Any terrific, fun ideas out there?

Another game with canoes is "dead fish in the water." You take a good size sponge and toss it in the water. Each canoe has two people in it, both equipped with paddles. The idea is to pick up the sponge with a paddle and throw it into somebody else's canoe. There is no score keeping, just chaos. The game forces people to think through how their canoe will respond to different strokes and plan their moves.