Can Tiger partner be another Parent

Have you ever heard of another parent being the Tiger partner for a Tiger other than their own?? We have a family that wants to do this due to work circumstances. My thought is to say- please wait unitl next year. The Tiger Leader is looking for guidence on this issue.

I though the idea was it to also be family time and substituting another parent is not allowing for this. Plus I'm thinking they would not be able to do thier art in doing a meeting as well.

Do you leave it up to the leader to decide?

This is from the youth application:

"Parent Agreement:

I have read the Cub Scout Promise and I want my son to join the pack. I will assist him in observing the policies of the Boy Scouts of America and of his packs chartered organization. I will

While he is a Tiger Cub, serve as his adult partner and participate in all meetings and activities and

approve his advancement.*

While he is a Cub Scout, help him grow as a Cub Scout and approve his Cub Scout advancement.

While he is a Tiger Cub, Cub Scout, or Webelos Scout, attend monthly pack meetings and take part in

other activities; assist pack leaders as needed.

*If the parent is not serving as the adult partner, the parental signature on the application indicates

approval of the adult partner and also if the adult partner does not live at the same address as the

Tiger Cub, a separate adult application is required."

It appears that they can, but they must fill out an adult application if they do not live at the same address as the tiger. I am not sure what the position code for tiger partner is, but it can be found on your current charter or by asking your DE.

In theory, yes. I reality it probably depends a lot on the dynamics of the situation. Here are the questions that I would ask, if I were the Tiger DL.

1) What is the relationship between the families involved? Are they neighbors/good friends who have a close connection anyway, where the kids from both families know, trust, and like both sets of parents? If yes, then maybe it would work. If no and this is purely a babysitting or convenience type of relationship, then I'd be inclined to say no. Part of the purpose of the Tiger partner is to allow for the child to share something special with an adult who plays a meaningful role in their lives.

2) Will the other parent's agreement to serve as Tiger partner for this child take away from the experience of his/her own child in the program? This might depend on both boys' personalities. If one is a handful or really needs an adult's undivided attention, then the other will suffer.

3) Is the other parent someone who really has the capacity to work with other people's kids? Or are they basically just a name on the piece of paper? Some adults could do this, some are already minimally involved with their own kid. In the latter case, having a "Tiger Partner" for 2 boys who isn't really that involved would place more of a burden on the TDL.

4) Does the boy not have any other family members who could serve as his Tiger Partner? Grandparents, aunts & uncles, older cousins, etc.?

5) Is the kid an absolute terror? Does his presence routinely make it difficult to run a program? One hopes that the typical 6 year old wouldn't be able to derail things single-handedly, but there are a few who can and do. In those cases, I would want to insist on a parent being present.

Depending on the child, the families, the den dynamics, this might be a viable (though not optimal) solution, or it might be a really bad idea. Ultimately it would be a good idea to sit down with all involved parties and discuss the options and decisions, whatever they may be, so that everyone is on the same page. I hope this helps you and the TDL think things through a bit further.

Yes, it is allowed, as long as BSA rules are followed. However, it is not recommended.

Is this a single parent home? If not, why can't the other parent be Tiger Partner?

Are there any other close relatives who can stand in? A Tiger Partner can be 18 years old, so even an older sibling or cousin can do it.

If it must be this other family, or nothing, than I would go with it, but be sure the Tiger Partner knows that they will be working side by side, and going everywhere with, BOTH boys, not just their own. When they take their turn at running meetings BOTH boys will be sharing the "Boss for a Day" position.