Tiger progress totem before Bobcat?

Several well-educated, trained and apparently literate adults in our pack are having a friendly debate about whether or not the Tiger Cub "immediate recognition" paw print thing can be awarded before the Bobcat badge. The TC handbook seems to hint that it can, and the requirements for getting the big plastic paw appear to be a subset of those for Bobcat, thus implying you can earn it first.

However, there are several people also remembering that they've been told many times "no awards before Bobcat."

Anyone have solid information?

Thanks, Melgamatic

Instead of "No awards before Bobcat", it's more accurate to say "No rank awards (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos badges) before Bobcat".

Anything else (Tiger paw & beads, belt loops, etc..) is fair game and can be awarded when earned.

Here's the quote from the Tiger Cub Handbook -

"No matter what age or grade a boy joins Cub Scouting, he must earn his Bobcat badge before he can be awarded a Tiger Cub badge, Wolf badge, Bear badge, or Webelos badge."

He can still work on those badges before earning his Bobcat, but they can't be awarded until the Bobcat has been awarded.

This is from http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/advancement.aspx

"To begin his path to the Tiger Cub rank, the Tiger Cub (age 7) must learn the Cub Scout promise, the Cub Scout sign, and the Cub Scout salute. When he has accomplished these tasks, he will be awarded his Tiger Cub immediate recognition emblem. This is a tiger paw with four strands for beads that he wears on the right pocket."

This is also stated very clearly in the Tiger Cub book. Why wouldn't you award it to your boys even if they haven't earned their Bobcat yet?

I would award it! We actually did award it!

Just confirming that it was the right thing to do. Wasn't planning on taking them back, yelling at anyone, etc. Just confirming that we did the right thing. Thanks to everyone for the help.

-Melg

The totem is part of the immediate recognition program and should be done right away. They are the simplist things to learn before the other items for Bobcat. I was just discussing w/ my new Tiger leader how the beads should also be awarded right at the den meeting or go see it as soon as you finish a task instead of waiting a month for the pack meeting.

I told him we would be happy to award them there as well since they did some itrems and he did'nt hand out beads yet but to bring them to events and hand them right out as soon as they are done that meeting.

• 3 weeks later...

Rank awards should be presented at the next pack meeting after they are earned. They should not be "saved" for a year end ceremony.

I'm not sure what our Pack does because the years I've been a den leader none of the boys had finished requirements earlier anyway.

At our leader meeting prior to this month's raingutter regatta there was some talk of not doing awards, but I reminded them that immediate recognition is one of the things emphasized in scouting and we did go ahead and present awards. They're little kids and the reasons I've heard for "holding" things were adult-related and did not serve the boys' interests.

My den is aiming for badge presentation at the B&G on Feb 27.

My son just received his totem and 2 beads Friday. He has completed enough requirements for 3 beads, but finished 6-9 after the 'deadline' for awards this month. He will get it at our next Pack meeting in January.

Most of the boys have earned one, but a couple are lagging behind and didn't get any. They are new and (within the last month) and need to finish their Bobcat.

With a lul in meetings coming up due to the holidays (only 2 more before the end of the year, including our family holiday party), we are encouraging all the boys and their parents to be up to 3 beads when we get back in January.

That way, we can award all 14 boys with their Wolf Badges at the end of February.

Any and ALL awards earned should be presented at the next availible opportunity for the scout to receive them. Usually the next Pack Meeting.

If we are not having a pack meeting that month (we take Dec off), or the Pack Meeting that month is taken up with an activity (i.e. Pinewood Derby), then we acknowledge the scout at the Pack Meeting and have the award presented at the next Den Meeting.

The only exception to this is Rank Awards, which are done with a short ceremony and only done by the CM, ACM at the Pack Meeting.

Never hold an award unless you must - award the acheivement as SOON AS THE CUB has earned it.

My 2 cents.

YiS,

Dean