Time is come today...

I think the problem is us Scout leaders just don't understand and aren't sympathetic to the time limitations of the rest of the world.

To that need for understanding, I would recommend we busy multitasking Scouters immediately start doing the followng:

1) Cut our lawns at least twice a week, completely, so it is microscpically neat and even.

2) Prune all our hedges and shrubs twice a month (see #1).

2a) Edge all our walks and driveway curbs.

3) Attend all the school dances, stage shows, sport games and concerts.

4) Make sure our children have at least 4 other clubs/sport teams/church youth groups/etc. to attend.

5) Wash all our house windows 4 times a year.

6) Aseptically clean our kitchen and dining room everyday.

7) Pick up all our childrens' toys, books, clothes for them so they will not feel unloved.

8) Cook all family meals from scratch, using all organic, raw food.

8a) Plant a veggie garden and tend it to county fair blue ribbon status.

8b) Can and preserve all the produce that comes out of it.

9) Join at least two service clubs and attend all meetings so as to (a) set a good example to our children and (b) "give back to the community" and © find that social outlet we are missing in our lives.

10) Rent/buy/library borrow some good DVDs to help our kids watch "quality" tv.At home. Together.

11) Take many, long vacations with the family, because family time is important.

12) Vaccuum/sweep the floors every day.

13) Remind yourself that Scouting is for the kids and not really for the parents, and I don't really know what to do there anyway.

14) Work two jobs to help support the family, 'cause that's what a man does.

15) Scrub the driveway to make it clan enough for the car parked on it, which you should...

16) Wash car once a week. Wash the OTHER car once a week. Wash the OTHER other car...

17) Oh, and don't forget to take the boy to the Scout meeting. They'll do the right thing by him, I know. They don't really need me to get in the way...

...probably left out some items. I apologize for that. I bet I still wouldn't understand...

I look down this list and it makes me think.

I hear parents say that they do not have time. An hour a week. That is all they have to provide as non-leader parents. I once heard someone tell me that when it comes to being a leader, "An hour a week, per scout" There are days that I believe that.

I just wish that some of these parents could see the benefits of what scouting does for their sons.

But I will still keep going as a leader, providing not only the best program for the Cubs, but especially for my son.