Ideas for year-long projects?

Hi everyone,

I'm a Bear DL with a group of 7 very active kids. I'm planning out the year (yes, I'm a procrastinator) and was thinking that it might be fun to come up with a year-long project that we spent 10-15 minutes out of every den meeting on. It needs to be a project that doesn't require a lot of set up / tear down to work on and can be worked on as a group.

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance...

-Michael

How about some type of scouting pen pal arrangement? It doesn't necessarily have to be all writing (which doesn't appeal to many boys that age). It could be sending your brother scouts elsewhere a package one month, tracking the progress of a den bear around the country via postcards another month, etc..

Or how about adopting a group of soldiers? Send them a monthly package, photos, cards, doo-dads you make, etc.

The idea of adopting soldiers sounds kwel to me...

You may also want to look for cubs in another country to be pen pals with .. they could learn more about scouting in other countries and the brotherhood of scouting... If interested I can give you some help getting in contact with cub in far away places ;)

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

On another note. Our pack has adpoted a garden at an elementary school. Maybe there is something similar in a park or school or at your meeting place. You can plan out the garden on a piece of large paper and bring each time, and research plants and during the winter grow seeds to place in the spring.

There is a Bear achievements (or electvies?) around this. If it is at your meeting place you can spend a little time each meeting weeding or just looking at it and trying to identify anything already there. they could even study insects living there. We found ladybugs, grass hopper, crickets( led to a discussion between difference between them) as well as ants and wasps to stay away from.